Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josephinetedesc
Creator III
Creator III

Why is the frequency greyed out in a list box?

Hi All

List box was working fine .... but now the frequency is "greyed out" - any idea why?

It did before give me the ability to choose frequency as per another dimension:

thank you

Jo

9 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think it's greyed out because you are using a list box for a key field.

A frequency count on a key field is not well defined, AFAIK, and I think Qlik disabled the option to avoid confusion.

I have seen the option on key field not disabled a couple of times, though, but I guess that's a bug, unless there was a feature change I am not aware of.

josephinetedesc
Creator III
Creator III
Author

but it was a key field yesterday and I could get the frequency ...

trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

It is not allowed on Key field and input fields...

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Would you be above to provide the Application?

Or

Use this dimension =Only(dept) then check? Or not share the application and how your DM and script?

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

As far as I can see, a key field will usually have the Frequency disabled, unless come combination of these occurs:

the field is a unique key in at least one table

one table  contains 100% of the possible values

YMMV, and it is hard to predict when the key is to multiple tables. In general though, you can't do frequencies with a key field, just like Count() can be unpredictable and you need to use Count(DISTINCT...) on a key field.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
josephinetedesc
Creator III
Creator III
Author

This is a key field and it is not greyed out

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Jonathan,

is the condition when to disable / enable the frequency option on key fields documented somewhere?

Or have you just discovered this by yourself?

AFAIR, the old help system was telling that the list box option is disabled on key fields (I may be wrong), and frankly, I don't fully understand the new help description:

Show Frequency

Toggles the status for whether the frequency of a field value is shown or not. By frequency is meant the number of selectable combinations in which the value occurs. This option is not available for calculated fields.

In Percent
Toggles the status for whether the frequency should be shown in absolute numbers or as percentages of the total number of entries.

josephinetedesc
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Originally it was one flat file ... then I added another couple of flat files And I had saved the original flat file as a QVD file.

As I was just starting this dashboard I thought it would be useful to be able to see the highest frequency of events.  It gives me a "feel" for the data when I am unfamiliar with it.  So maybe it is a combination of events.

Jo

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

>>Or have you just discovered this by yourself?

@Stefan

I have not seen any documentation, but in investigating this post, I built a small test model with three tables and a couple of key fields and these were my findings. As this not official, it would be best not to rely on this behaviour as it may be version specific (11.2 SR9 here).

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein