Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Y-axis (expression) formatting

Hi,

I have a line chart that looks like this:

qv04.jpg

How do you format the Y-axis to be of money type?  Example, I want to show $800,000, $600,00 and etc.

I've looked through all the tabs for the line chart and especially the Axis tab -> Expression Axes.  I don't see anything

relevant on changing y-axis to money.

Can someone help?

Thank you

16 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I guess you can get the $ symbol at the top of the axis, but not against each value.

Try reading from this - In bar chart $ symbol can't be prefixed to the numbers in y-axis?

MK9885
Master II
Master II

Check values on data points in expression tab for your Y Axis and edit the expression to

Num(yourexpression), '$#,##0') or use Num(yourexpression, /100000 , '$#,##0 K') as you've values in thousands, showing a K symbol will be more good or there are chances that values may overlap each other on line plot.

Can you show what expression you using for y-axis?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Actually I had already tried it before posting.  I tried with "NUM(sum(Total_btts), '$#,##0;(#,##0)')" but didn't work.

I just entered what you suggested, it didn't work and the y-axis actually didn't change.

qv05.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

There are 2 ways to do it:

1)Change the settings in the Number tab of the chart properties to Money and add $ in the Symbol box.

This adds $ sign on top of the y-axis and in the values on the data points.

2)Add value in the "Static Step" option under the Axes tab, this will internally take the option set in the Number tab ,if you select "Money" then this will show it in that format. Try putting values like 1000 under the static step ,i haven't tried it  for your data set but it should work

Not applicable
Author

Arvind - I doubt that.

MK9885
Master II
Master II

I do not think Y-Axis change, to see the change you have to check or tick the box 'Values on Data Points' in Expression tab.

The values will be visible for you on line, there you can see $ symbol. But on Y axis it will show you plain numbers.

line.png

line.png

Not applicable
Author

True !!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi arvind654,

Thanks for your replies.  Yes, you were right about checking "Values on data points".  I do see the $.

However since I need to show 12 months, the chart gets crowded with these data points showns especially when

the values are large.  In addition, I need to show multiple years as well.  So this will not be very attractive to the users and it isn't what I was asking.  I've looked on the Web and it doesn't appear you can do what I'm asking in QV.

MK9885
Master II
Master II

use this instead to shorten the values and give it a symbol.

NUM(sum(Total_btts), /100000 , '$#,##0 K')

As we all know K is a symbol for thousand.