cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stig1984
Creator II
Creator II

Year Start Dates

The various year functions all have the ability to shift the start of the year to match fiscal calendars with start dates other than January (which is a good principle).  However it needs to go a stage further.

Our financial year operates on a lunar week principle from the last Saturday in November (for example our financial year for 2016 started on 28/11/2015, our year for 2017 starts on 26/11/2016 and so-on). The nearest approximation I have achieved is the end of November which gives me a year start of 01/12/2015 - 3 days out.  Consequently any YTD analysis will miss 3 days worth of sales/ goods in etc.

The formulas I am using are as below - can anyone improve on these or is it a gap in the system to be worked around with data changes / manipulation.

inyeartodate (TempDate,today(0)-1,0,12) *-1 as CYTDFlag

num(YearEnd(Today(0),0,12));

Any assistance welcomed.

4 Replies
sunny_talwar

stig1984
Creator II
Creator II
Author

That looks really handy if the dates run 25th to 24th each month / year.

However (unless I've missed something) it won't help when we have years that run Saturday to Friday - would be 28th to 25th one year, 26th to 23rd another year and so on.

thanks for prompt response.

sunny_talwar

There might be a way to configure it, but you will have to play around with it a little. What happens for the left over days?

stig1984
Creator II
Creator II
Author

The year end (and period ends) will always be a Friday and the following year will start on a Saturday (which may be 3 or 4  'dates' earlier) - periodically there will be a 53 week year to push it back in line.

This is also quite a common systems (could be different weekdays) for our supermarket customers and in the Fresh Produce Industry.

Unfortunately it does make it complicated - I do have to mess around a lot in other programs such as Excel and label software to bring them in line so playing around wouldn't be a suprise