Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

compare a dollar amount <> 0

The expression box isn't something that I have mastered yet.

I need to count all the lines unless the Total Line Amount is zero, which means we didn't ship anything.

count({<Year= {"$(=Max(Year))"} , [Line Item Type] = {'I'}>} [HSDETITEMNUMBER])  THIS WORKS FINE but include the lines where we didn't ship anything.

I need to add Total Line Amount <> .00

count({<Year= {"$(=Max(Year))"} ,[Total Line Amount] =  (<.00/>.00) [Line Item Type] = {'I'}>} [HSDETITEMNUMBER])    This didn't work.

Can anybody give me some help? I know this is a elementary problem.

10 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Rob Wunderlich wrote:

@John,

Both methods would return the same thing only if there were no selections in [Total Line Amount].

The "=" modifier sets the selections to a specific value.

The "-=" modifies current selections in that field.

-Rob.

You're right of course.  They're not the same.  I've gotten rusty.

I tend to use -= and *= frequently when doing set analysis.  I believe that users expect the system to be responsive to their selections.  So if we want to exclude 0, I would use -={0} so that if the user selects one or more of the remaining values, the chart will be restricted to what they select.  Otherwise, we'll always show all values other than 0, which I think is typically not what users want or expect.  It may be appropriate in some cases, of course.

The same applies to the use of *= when restricting to specific values.  If you just use =, exactly those values and all of those values will always show, even if the user selects just one of them for more careful analysis.  With the *=, their choices are restricted to the values listed, but they can still narrow the chart down by making selections.  It's sometimes appropriate to use = for a list, but I think I more frequently use *=.