Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

display all cyclic label options

Hi --

Is there a way to permanently display all the available cyclic labels, rather than requiring the user to right-click on the icon to pull up the list? (Many naive users won't realize they can do that.) Basically, I'd like them to have a list box and an option to "select a dimension"

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Have you considered a data island? Create a table with an inline load and two columns, e.g., DimName, DimNameSelectionDisplay. The DimName column must conatin all the Dimension names you want to allow your end users to select (the same as in your cyclical dim) and a second column with proper non-DB field names, so that your end users can select on these fully worded field name equivalents. (In attached QVW as example, in script, look at the data island table load).

The on front end, create a table with calculated dimensions such as =$(=DimName) and your usual expression. Then put a list box for DimNameSelectionDisplay, make a selection on this one and put a tick box in always one selected value in Properties > General tab.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Have you considered a data island? Create a table with an inline load and two columns, e.g., DimName, DimNameSelectionDisplay. The DimName column must conatin all the Dimension names you want to allow your end users to select (the same as in your cyclical dim) and a second column with proper non-DB field names, so that your end users can select on these fully worded field name equivalents. (In attached QVW as example, in script, look at the data island table load).

The on front end, create a table with calculated dimensions such as =$(=DimName) and your usual expression. Then put a list box for DimNameSelectionDisplay, make a selection on this one and put a tick box in always one selected value in Properties > General tab.

Hope this helps.

Not applicable
Author

I can see how that would work. Thanks very much. I was hoping for something within the interface but suppose there isn't anything.

Not applicable
Author

Hi David,

There is no way that I know of that you can show all available dims in a cyclical dim. Unless you are running IE plugin, in which case your end user can click on the drop down and see the whole list, the data island technique seems the only way around.

Typically, when I use this for clients, I put the list box somewhere on top of the chart object, so that it looks like it is contained within the same object, that's the best that know of.

If it helps, there is also a good QV function, which allows to call for the fieldname selected in a cyclical dim (providing naturally, they are appopriately named in the data model) and which you could use as a dynamic title, caption or otherwise: GetCurrentField(Between parentheses is th name of the drill-down or cycle dim).

Hope it helps.

Not applicable
Author

Very helpful -- glad to know I'm not missing something obvious. Thanks again.