Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

help with a graph

I have a table with dates. Monday dates to be specific (9/1/2014, 9/8/2014, 9/15/2014, 9/22/2014..etc)

I use a graph to display the data and on my x-axis, I want to cycle between Weeks and Months.

I tried to create a cycle group with the week from my table and then I used the master calendar 'Months' to view in months but whenever I see it on the graph, it shows me as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 and only shows the month name if I only select one month...

any idea on how to fix this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcoWedel

Hi,

your example has no month dimension included.

The week dimension again is just an integer that looks like a weekname.

I tried to generate a cyclic group using these expressions:

For Week:

=Dual(Week,MakeWeekDate(Left(Week,4),Right(Week,2)))

For Month:

=MonthName(MakeWeekDate(Left(Week,4),Right(Week,2)))

The result looks like:

QlikCommunity_Message_135455_Pic1.JPG.jpg

QlikCommunity_Message_135455_Pic2.JPG.jpg

better use expressions like these at script level to create new fields from your source dates.

hope this helps

regards

Marco

View solution in original post

12 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Here is a sample with Month Names (MMM) and weeks (Monday Dates).

In the month field in the cycle i used:   =left(MonthName(Date),3)   to format a MM/DD/YYYY as MMM   and the Date field to show the Monday Dates (weeks)

Does that help ?

Capture.PNG.png

Capture1.PNG.png

Not applicable
Author

It is giving me a 'No numeric values on x-axis' error... any idea on why this is happening?

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

i'm guessing you need to uncheck 'continuous' on the Axis tab of the chart properties. I didn't have that checked in the sample screenshot above. Let me know if you see any issues disabling it.

Not applicable
Author

That helped but take a look at the picture attached.

1) Is there any way to limit the number of weeks shown on the graph without choosing 'continuous' option

2) how can I also show year at the end of month (i.e Sept '14, Oct '14, etc)

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Try using this expression for month to format the Date into a month of your need:

Date(Date,'MMM-YY')

or maybe

Date(Date,'MMM YY')

For the X axis, on the axis tab, try changing the labels to be a 45 degrees and  on the presentation tab under chart scrolling, enable the x-axis scrollbar after 15 or 20 values.

You can also change the font size of the label to 7 or 8pt font on the axis tab. See if that helps somewhat.

Not applicable
Author

The 'Date(Date,'MMM-YY')' does not work correctly. see attached picture. It shows a month and year for each monday date..

MarcoWedel

please post randomized sample app, otherwise it's just guessing ...

thanks

regards

Marco

Not applicable
Author

Marco - here is an example. For some reason, when I click on the 'Month' cycle, it says no data available...

The goal is to have the graph be able to cycle between weeks and months.

I would like this format (month-yy) when it is in Months (Aug '14, Sept '14, Oct '14, Jan '15, etc) if possible

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Got it.

With your YYYYWW format yoiu can use this to get the MMM 'YY format:

= left(MonthName( MakeWeekDate( left(Week,4) ,right(Week,2))),3)& ' ' & chr(39) & mid( Week,3,2)

Capture.PNG.png

Capture.PNG.png