Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

how do you deal with id fields?

It is quite usual to have an id field in a datamodel to ensure one and only one database record is associated with a given value. Label fields on the other hand do not offer this guarantee, but are a lot more readable and understandable than the id fields' values.

The problem in qlikview is that differences between possible and selected values: if you make selection in both fields you will get the intersection of the two, or just the last selection made if there is no intersection between selections. This can be confusing for the user, because the two fields reference the same record, and it can be expected to have selection in both fields to give the same behavior.

Do you have a simple way to deal with this kind of data model without having this problem, or do you rely on the end-user ability to understand the selection behavior?

1 Reply
erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi,

I usually explain and show the users the selection behavior and the QlikView color code. I also use the current selections box to make the selections always visible.

If the regular behavior can be an issue for you or your users you could use different settings to make the possible values more explicit or to prevent the users from selection something excluded.

On a list box you can check the option 'show alternatives' on the list box properties -> general tab. This will turn possible values into yellow.

On the list box or multi box you can set the 'Hide excluded option' so the users will not be able to select something that is not related to previous selections.

Please, let me know if those options, in your option,  can improve user interaction.

Regards,

Erich