Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

how to clean disk

hi guru's

my disk space nearly full.

disk contains all applications ,extractors,qvd's

is there any thing i can clean or remove unwanted log files like that to solve this issue

please advice

Thanks

8 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi,

that does not seem to be a QlikView_related issue, is it?

Do you store everything concerning your QlikView_implementation on your own personal disk?

You can use tools like CCleaner - or just the Windows_standard_tools to clean the disk - empty the waste_paper_basket etc.

HTH

P.S.: Deflating apps that are currently not in use - deleting the working_data which makes up the bulk of an app's size - also helps. You can do that manually in the main_menu "File -> limit data". I have made a code to do this for backing up my apps regularly.

I store it all on the company server, however.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

iam working on server,where i have 4 drives ,

in G drive all development related information is stored.

that drive nearly full,client  is asking is there any way to clean?

under each Qlikview Application  have lots of generated log files,can i remove those log files?

is it make sense?

datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Well - I assume your client is a company?

They have an IT department, don't they?

=> So there is someone who should look after the drives.

Apart from deflating the apps - which is really useful only for those which are not going to be used for a while - I'm afraid there is not much you can do from your side. You can of course look at optimizing your apps a bit by deleting unnecessary objects, deleting unused tables etc. - but since memory is quite cheap, that is not really worthwhile as it will consume quite a bit of time and avail you relatively little.

Do you have the QlikViewServer? Is that also installed there?

In a path on the QlikViewServer all the logs from all your apps - which have logging activated - are stored and not overwritten as the "normal" logs are - so you can delete all those which are older than 30 days or so.

The path is ending on >> DistributionService\1\log << - there is a folder for every day, each of which has another folder for every single QV_task that ran that day. Quite a lot over time. So it might be worthwhile having a batch in place to clean that up regularly.

Otherwise, they will just have to add more memory to it.

qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II

Go to Start and Type Disk.

You can see two programs. Perform these two activities and delete all the files from C:\Windows\Temp.

Capture.JPG

Hope this will helps.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi,

that is unfair - your answer is visible while mine will probably be a few hours to appear because it is being moderated ... those admins have a funny way of picking and blocking posts for moderation - and then taking their time in doing so (or so it seems) ...

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Check for log files ending in .log. Look at them and if you don't need them anymore you can remove them. Perhaps you also have qvd's you don't need anymore. Look for 'old' files. You'll have to decide when a qvd file is so old that you can be certain it isn't used anymore.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes, of course. Go ahead and delete all logs that you don' need anymore. A single application generating lots of logs usually means that you add a timestamp to a generated log. Disable that option in QV->Settings->Document Porperties->General.

Also check your test documents for excessive file size. You don't have to throw them away, but you can save them without any data.

Do you have duplicates of large QVD's in your development tree? Can you centralize access to a single copy, just for development?

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I think so too. We should have a red round button in every thread. Pressing the button will ring a large bell in all moderator offices, just to make them aware that their attention is needed...