Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peony
Creator III
Creator III

if condition in pivot table expression

Hi there!

I've got misunderstanding with qlik's expressions in pivot table.

Have a table with 3 fields: Date (contains date, no null values) , Category (contains names of differen data category, no null values for category 'Sales'), Digit (contains digits and some null value).

Whan I create pivot table, set as dimention Date and than Category. And the expression is: if (IsNull(Digit),'No data', Digit). But as the result, I have short table with only 'No data' values and withour other "not null values".

What am I doing wrong in this case?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Probably because you have more than one value of Digit in those cells. [Digit], as a naked field*, will return Null if there is more than one possible value in the pivot table cell. So that expression will not work quite that way. You may need to add Digit as a dimension as well.

* A naked field is a field reference not enclosed in an aggregation function (Sum(), Avg(), Min() etc). IsNull is not an aggregation function, so Digit is a naked field. See here for more Use Aggregation Functions!

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Probably because you have more than one value of Digit in those cells. [Digit], as a naked field*, will return Null if there is more than one possible value in the pivot table cell. So that expression will not work quite that way. You may need to add Digit as a dimension as well.

* A naked field is a field reference not enclosed in an aggregation function (Sum(), Avg(), Min() etc). IsNull is not an aggregation function, so Digit is a naked field. See here for more Use Aggregation Functions!

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
arvio124
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i think you have more than on result per line. it should work with:

if(isnull(sum(Digit)),'No Data',sum(Digit))

Peony
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Yes! There is the mistake. You right! Thank you much!

Peony
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi. It works! Thank you for your idea.