Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheQlikBrownFox
Contributor
Contributor

in-line subtotaling of dimensional elements

Within Qlik, is it possible to group dimensional elements with in-line subtotals without the use of creating an additional dimension and perform this with a single column/ dimension? Below is a mock-up example of what I'm looking to functionally replicate.

TheQlikBrownFox_0-1600127539041.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

It doesn't look like the total expression is picking up the dimension per total row, it looks like the total header is calculated outside of the chart. You will need to do another approach to get the Area header on the row. 

I've prepared an example that could be of help. It is inspired of one of the solutions in my blogpost. 

Vegar_0-1600978801768.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

I did something similar in this blog post. It is not exactly what you are trying to do, but it might give you inspiration to solve your needs.

http://aqlik.se/2019/01/sub-totals-in-a-qlik-straight-table/

TheQlikBrownFox
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks for the link!  Very informative! I tried the approach of defining the parent dimension (Area) on the load script to separate the Departments into groups, then disabled subtotals on the "Expressions" tab, and enabled subtotals as indicated in the picture below. I was then going to hide the Area dimension from display, which *should* give the display once the subtotal definitions are correct. Can you please assist on what I am doing wrong with the subtotals as they are generating a line for each department instead of for each area. 

TheQlikBrownFox_1-1600181710605.png

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

@Vegar  Just flagging this for you in case the notifications in Community are still not letting you guys know when folks reply back, there was a further question on this related to your link, hopefully you may have a little more guidance on the last piece.  Thanks in advance as always for the help!

Cheers,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
Vegar
MVP
MVP

It doesn't look like the total expression is picking up the dimension per total row, it looks like the total header is calculated outside of the chart. You will need to do another approach to get the Area header on the row. 

I've prepared an example that could be of help. It is inspired of one of the solutions in my blogpost. 

Vegar_0-1600978801768.png

TheQlikBrownFox
Contributor
Contributor
Author

@Vegar , thanks! I'm used to other BI reporting tools where there is a limitation in the ways you can calculate in both rows and columns, so it's interesting to see how Qlik supports this much more openly.