Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

max does not work inside set analysis

Hi,

I am making a pivot table based on the following data.

Customer              Transaction                    Date                    Amount

A                             Sales Order                  08/11/2016          123

B                             Sales Order                  08/12/2016          234

B                             Sales Order                  08/16/2016          546

C                             Sales Order                  07/01/2016          100

C                             Sales Order                  07/02/2016           200

A                             Invoice                         08/15/2016          300

B                             Invoice                         08/15/2016          300

dimension:

Customer

expression:

1. sum({<Transaction={'Sales Order'}, Date={'$(=max({<Transaction={'Sales Order'}>}Date))'}>}Amount)

the expected output is

A          123

B          546

C          200

the actual output is

B     546

the "max({<Transaction={'Sales Order'}>}Date)" in the above expression is not considering the customer dimension and returns the max date for all Sales Orders and so B shows up because it has max date for the sales order. To my surprise this expression is controlling the dimension.

but when i just make a column on max({<Transaction={'Sales Order'}>}Date) then i get the correct value

A          08/11/2016

B          08/16/2016

C          07/02/2016

I am sure i am missing something here.

Advise please.

Regards

sramya

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Here is a sample that might help you out here.

Capture.PNG

Expression:

=FirstSortedValue({<Transaction = {'Sales Order'}>}Amount, -Date)

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

try like this?

=aggr(max({<Transaction={'Sales Order'}>}Amount) , Customer)

Not applicable
Author

But it does not consider the max sales order date?

maxgro
MVP
MVP

FirstSortedValue({$ <Transaction={'Sales Order'}>} Amount, -Date)

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Try this:

FirstSortedValue({<Transaction={'Sales Order'}>} Amount, -Date)

Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

try like

=FirstSortedValue(OrderDate,-Customer)

or

=FirstSortedValue(Customer,-OrderDate)

marcus_sommer

Your max-expression within the $-sign expansion creates an adhoc-variable which could have only one value (which will be calculated before the chart is calculated) and applied for each row. This meant you need a different approach, maybe something like this:

firstsortedvalue({<Transaction={'Sales Order'}>} Amount, -Date)

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

it does not work and returns null value

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Possibly because you have multiple values against max date in real data. Try:

FirstSortedValue( Aggr(Sum({<Transaction={'Sales Order'}>} Amount), Date), -Date)

effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi Saurabh,

As Marcus explains the set returned by your set analysis expression is evaluated outside the chart, so to speak and then it is applied to the chart as a whole. So your expression becomes:

sum({<Transaction={'Sales Order'}, Date={'08/16/2016'}>}Amount)

and this is applied to all rows and so only this line is considered:

Customer              Transaction                    Date                    Amount

B                             Sales Order                  08/16/2016          546

Cheers

Andrew