Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wizardo
Creator III
Creator III

nested "Advanced Aggregation", contradiction in the help?

hi there

while reading some help topics in the qlikview internal help i came across something odd.

it might be just me not seeing it correctly but i thought id share it anyway.

in the help topic titled:

Nested Aggregations and Related Issues

at the subtopic:

Nested Aggregations with the Aggregation Function

I came across this paragraph:

...The possibilities of nesting do not end here. The dimension arguments of the Advanced Aggregation function may of course contain calculated dimensions, which in turn make use of the Advanced Aggregation function. It should however be relatively easy to loose track of what you are doing when passing the third level of aggregation.

(the interesting part is in BOLD)

but in the help topic titled:

Advanced Aggregation

it says

the aggr() function Returns a set of values of expression calculated over dimensions. The result can be compared to the expression column of a 'local chart', evaluated in the context where the aggr function resides. Each dimension must be a single field. It cannot be an expression (calculated dimension).

(again the interesting part is in BOLD)

of course I went ahead and tried doing it in a calculated dimension in a chart

and it didn't work.

although it didn't produce an "error in calculated dimension as it does sometimes, it returned a null as the dimension and the expression in the chart was totaled

maybe one of you can point me to where I didn't see it correctly

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps they mean that when there is a calculated dimension in a table, the results that fall below it can be included within an aggr() in one of the expressions. It's not very clear though, especially when it says '...may of course contain calculated dimensions, which in turn make use of the Advanced Aggregation function'

Jonathan