Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LynnLI
Contributor II
Contributor II

overlapping figures in line-chart

HI Buddy, 

Actually it's not a new problem that figures in the bar/line chart which are very close tend to be overlapped. 

We usually enlarge the chart framework manually so as to enable the figures clearly visible. 

We also see that other primary apps in popular do not have these problems, the same situation would be solved by hidding some of the very-close figures or distancing them automatically to make them clearly visible. 

I have contacted support center of qlikview, currently qlikapp can not solve the problem of figure-overlapping. Wonder if there is any other solution to this problem such as insert "conditions" to the script or formula...... to make the overlapping figures clearly visible. 

Attached snapshots are extracted from qlikview, tableur and powerbi, and I have highlighted the points with red circle. Can see tableur and powerbi can automatically distance or hide the overlapped figures. 

Hope qlik can have some solution to my problem. Thanks a lot!  

Labels (1)
2 Replies
marcus_sommer

The lines and bars within the QlikView charts have no feature to define the place (something like low/mid/high  respectively n pixel above/below the values) where the values should be shown (only to show inside/outside the segments which is usually not very helpful by many overlapping values). Even with such layout-features it's not possible to avoid each overlapping whereby they could reduce the number of such occurrence significantly.

A workaround could be to add another lines with lower/higher values - original values + dynamic/static offset - and setting the line-color to transparence, for example with argb(0,0,0,0) but displaying the origin values (ways may the use of dual() or the offset-attribute setting within the expressions).

Beside this I suggest to re-think the visualization by removing unnecessary details and showing only the essential information. This means to follow the recommended design-rule that the chart-information should be recognized by a single glance and not by studying it for minutes because such details are better provided within a table. Especially your Tableau example is a good one to show how a chart shouldn't look like ...

LynnLI
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Marcus, 

Yeah, agree with your suggestions that sometimes we plot the lines both on main axis and auxiliary axis to distance apart the overlapping figures. 

As an enterprise client, we have applied qlikview and qliksense for at least 10 years. We applied qlik in different scenes for different business purposes,  general or specific. Sometimes, Boss would say "I would like to see the trend of 5-year performance" 🙂

Your suggestion on design-rule inspired me from another perspective and thanks so much for your kindly feedback!

Lynn