Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ali_hijazi
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

qlikview 12

Hello I have a question on the QlikView 12 SR3

are the variables all calculated on every single qlik?

or is it only the ones that are used in a sheet

Please advise

I can walk on water when it freezes
6 Replies
Not applicable

it depends ..

As and example if you have a variable Set vTotalSales = sum(Sales);

And if you use this on text box then it will be re-calculated every time you make any selections in the document but if you make it read only then it will not be calculated.

So it actually depends what are your variables used for and how you planning to use them

maksim_senin
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you exactly mean. Example would help.

Best regards,

Maxim

Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends upon what you define in your Variable .

If you define some field in the Variable then it'll change based on your selection .

If you define a value in it . It'll have its effect when you use it to a particular sheet objects

avinashelite

It all depends on how you define them , if you define a variable in the script then on every reload it will get calculated .

If you have defined a fixed value in the variable then it is calculated only once . If you have use fields and selection criteria i.e if you have expression in your variables definition then as and when the field changes the variable will be calculated .

hope this helps you

Anonymous
Not applicable

might help you understand?

The Magic of Variables

Digvijay_Singh

On variable evaluation:

Variables are evaluated in two steps. If a variable is assigned a value through an action or a macro, this is done before the sheet objects. However, if a variable has a value which is a string starting with an equal sign, there is a second evaluation step: when the variable is used. In other words, when a sheet object that uses the variable is evaluated, the expression value is used instead of the real variable value. So, Michael, you’re absolutely right in your statement that a slow-calculating variable affects performance the way you describe.

Taken from discussion section of -
Logical Inference and Aggregations