Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
i_bagnoli_blu
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

"cannot open file" error in reload task log when executed from qmc only

Hi community,

I need some advice. I have a qwv file which reads data from an only txt file, located in disk (O:) different from the main disk C where Qlik Server has installed.

I'm able as administrator user (which runs the Qlik services too) to reload the qwv manually from desktop but I receive the following error when I try to start the related task from QMC: "Error: cannot open file "O:Test.txt"." Then the message follows: It's not possible to find the relative path.

What do you think the problem is? Any suggestions?

I've already tried to flag relative paths and/or use paths like "\\servername\O$\Test.txt" but without success!

Thanks in advance.

IB

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

If the QlikView service account can open that file just going to Windows > Run > O:\Test.txt and it displays its content, I would contact your IT to see which issues the account may have to open the file interactively but not when running a service.

And if it does not open as mentioned from the Windows home button, I would double and triple check the permissions of the account running the services, such as the password has not change while the account was not stopped and running the services.

Check the effective permissions of that account by right clicking on the file > Properties > Security > Advanced > Effective Access > Select a user > (specify the account for the QlikView services) > View Effective access

By default, this should return "Full Control" with a green check mark in the list

View solution in original post

11 Replies
shiveshsingh
Master
Master

Is your id from which you running QMC has your QVW file access?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

As Shivesh points, the user account running the QlikView services must have access to the server and folder.

Also, if the script is set to use a mapped drive like O: such drive must be available for this service account.

Best way to troubleshoot is to log in onto the server with this account, try a manual reload and see step by step.

i_bagnoli_blu
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Hi Shivesh, Hi Miguel,

Thanks for your reply!

The user account which is running the services has access to O disk as a member of the Administrators group. And it has access to the qvw too (it has a CAL). In fact, if I use the account to access remotely on server and reload the qvw manually, the reload succeed. The problem is only from QMC.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

If your error message above is a copy, "O:Test" is not a valid folder, "O:\Test" is (see the backslash). If it's a typo, you will have to enable the log in the QVW, then run the task in the QMC and check in the logs in which step does it stop, and open as that account the file exactly as it is mentioned in the script to verify that the permissions work.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Is the O: drive a mapped network share? Mappings are user objects set up when the user logs on to Windows. System accounts do not execute a login script and therefore cannot usually access mapped drives. Change the load statement so that it loads from the UNC path (ie something like \\yourserver\yourfolder) in place of O:

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
i_bagnoli_blu
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

It is a typo from the log (because the main language is italian...).

I copy the error message exactly:

Error: Cannot open file 'O:\Test.txt' Impossibile trovare il percorso specificato.

I may translate the last part as "the specified path could not be found".

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

If the QlikView service account can open that file just going to Windows > Run > O:\Test.txt and it displays its content, I would contact your IT to see which issues the account may have to open the file interactively but not when running a service.

And if it does not open as mentioned from the Windows home button, I would double and triple check the permissions of the account running the services, such as the password has not change while the account was not stopped and running the services.

Check the effective permissions of that account by right clicking on the file > Properties > Security > Advanced > Effective Access > Select a user > (specify the account for the QlikView services) > View Effective access

By default, this should return "Full Control" with a green check mark in the list

i_bagnoli_blu
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Hi Miguel,

it is the first scenario you talk about: I can open the file through Run. I've just contacted the IT to have a check, they'll let me know soon about the matter.

Your reply has been useful however, thanks.

IB

ltrowski_hlag
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi,

we have the same issue at the moment. The file is accessible, the load script is running fine when executed from publisher locally via QV Client. But the reload fails when executed from QMC running on that same publisher with

Cannot open file:....

How did you solve your issue?

KR
Lukas