cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

report sometimes does not show tabs and only service restart solves it

Hi,

We got an strange issue with Qlikview. sometimes a report shows only empty page and does not show its tabs which are sheets in report. Only solution we could find is, restart Qlikview service.

Is there a way we can identify root cause. I checked QMC settings and tried a lot of things, but no solution unless we restart Qlikview service.

It happens with 1 report only, while issue happens, other reports show their tabs. We duplicated report, same duplicate dreport do same issue.

KR,

6 Replies
sathishbabu_s_g
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi KR, 

Can you share little more details On report you are mentioning such as QVW file size, have you implemented any security on the report, do you have any setting enabled for the report on the QMC level ?

have you tried whether QMC report reload resolved the issue 🙂

with regards,

Sathish

sathishbabu.s.g@gmail.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

We did not do any particular implementation security. Report size is around 1 gb. It works normally, but each day once, it stops showing tabs in report, I mean sheets in it. We see only qlikview logo in page when we click to report (I check services of qlikview, they all seem running with no issue meanwhile when issue happens=. When we restart qlikview service, then refresh report, and tabs shows and report works again till it do same issue. We did not change anything in report since months, it started on its own since 1 month.

Is there any particular metric we can control while report does not show tabs sometimes or has load issues with which reason. I tried a lot of settings in QMC, assuming it gets locked, or hanged as use by another session, changed session timeouts, autoload settings, none of them helped. Only restarting qlikview service in services.msc solves it but it causes a lot of issue. Because we only know when user complains about report not started to work again.

sathishbabu_s_g
Contributor III
Contributor III

I am suspecting file size would be issue as it is 1GB,. Restarting qlikview service, basically frees up server memory usage, therefore you are getting room for report in the server and report rendered properly for the users after the service restart. 

I believe the report would work fine with limited load of data, you can try and confirm it. Please check report whether you can improve the performance by following the qlikview best design practice. Also try to see whether you can reduce the report file size else you would needed to increase the server RAM size.

A 1GB .qvw document uses around 4GB in RAM for the first user (based on a multiplier of 4x to establish the initial RAM footprint based on file size). This multiplier is normally between 2x and 10x. User number two may increase this by around 10% as their calculations get cached resulting in a required RAM footprint of 4.4GB. User number 3 requires a further 10%, increasing the footprint to 4.8GB, and so on. In summary, a properly designed QlikView application will not take up more than 1% to 10% of the RAM usage for each additional user after the first.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi and thank you for answer,

We were suspecting with RAM. Server ram is 100 gb, we increased it to 200 GB. We increased CPU to 20 core. Qlikview does not seem having ram issue, because used ram amount is less then 60 gb in performance monitor while 140 GB is free. CPU usage not passes %30 too. 

That report seems doing it only. Developer says they got sleep and store in query of tabs.  I do not know what else we can try.  We close each tab 1 by 1 to test it may be, in your opinion, can a tab query can be blocking report page to be rendered?. 

Kind Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

We tested today with increasing RAM more over 250 GB, issue not changed. Only service restart solves. Meanwhile RAM usage is 60 GB when tabs not show in that report.

Any idea we can try would be appreciated..

sathishbabu_s_g
Contributor III
Contributor III

Believe we are one step closer to resolution by identifying the issue due to report design. Unfortunately I could not understand what you mean by below.

"Developer says they got sleep and store in query of tabs. I do not know what else we can try. We close each tab 1 by 1 to test it may be, in your opinion, can a tab query can be blocking report page to be rendered?. "

Can you share some details or share empty file without data for better understanding.