variable as dimension in chart

Hi,

I hope I can explain this properly.

I have a straight table chart, which must report on 3 things:

1. Number of Accounts Opened
  2. Number of Accounts Closed
  3. Number of Accounts Written Off

These are the expressions I use to show the numbers for the current month:

1. count({<[Account open month]={$(vCurrentMonth)},[Account open year]={$(vCurrentYear)}>}[Account no])
  2. count({<[Month of status change]={$(vCurrentMonth)},[Year of status change]={$(vCurrentYear)},[Account status code]={'C'}>}[Account no])
  3. count({<[Month of status change]={$(vCurrentMonth)},[Year of status change]={$(vCurrentYear)},[Account status code]={'Z'}>}[Account no])

Please see Image1 - this will then show me a table showing the book growth for September 2013.

What I want is to show the book growth PER MONTH, for the current year (or for the last 6 months is also okay).

So I want to use a variable as a dimension in the chart, and the expressions must all reference that. So that the chart eventually looks like Image 2. Of course the figures in Image 2 are totally wrong because I am using [Account open month] as a dimension.

Please let me know if you need more info. Note that I am using Personal Edition so cannot open your examples.

Thanks,

Gerhard

9 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Have you tried like this?

Pivot table, first dimension Account Status and second as Month. Drag the Month dimension on top

gerhardl
Creator II
Creator II
Author

That won't work. The month used in Expression 1 is a different field than those used in Expressions 2 and 3. Please check the expressions.

I also can't use Status as a dimension - this is not the point of the chart...

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Please share your sample data in excel mentioning the desired output there.

simondachstr
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Have you considering working with ValueList()?

gerhardl
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Please see attached.

Hope it makes sense now...

gerhardl
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I am not familiar with that but will look into it now...

gerhardl
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Okay I think this might be the right track.

I now have a calculated dimension that looks like this:

=valuelist(vCurrentMonthMin6,vCurrentMonthMin5,vCurrentMonthMin4,vCurrentMonthMin3,vCurrentMonthMin2,vCurrentMonthMin1,vCurrentMonth)

The variables are equal to Sep, Aug, Jul, etc.

So now my chart looks like image 3 (attached).

but what do I do with my expressions - currently they look like this:

count({<[Account open month]={$(vCurrentMonth)},[Account open year]={$(vCurrentYear)}>}[A+ Status (A/L/C)])

In stead of using the vCurrentMonth variable in the expression, I want it to use the month of the column (the dimension):

count({<[Account open month]={$(the header of this column)},[Account open year]={$(vCurrentYear)}>}[A+ Status (A/L/C)])

tresesco
MVP
MVP

I guess this could be handled better with a GENERIC load. Have to work on it.

gerhardl
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I appreciate all help - but please note that I do not want to follow an approach that changes my Load. This example is very basic, but will in fact be used in a pretty complex module, so I want to do this in the chart itself. This is not worth changing the load.

Just don't want you spending time on something that I cannot use..