Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

A Challenge - just for fun

See http://community.qlik.com/media/p/70295.aspx for the QVW

In the following BBC article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7937382.stm, the chart below was touted as being an excellent way of visualising data. I think that it is crap.

Propose a better way using QlikView objects.

Stephen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

How about the venerable horizontal bar chart?

View solution in original post

31 Replies
Not applicable

The advantage of the original graph is that it shows the relative size of 3 different dimensions. It's impossible from my submission to tell the relative size of crew versus passengers. But I think my submission tells a more compelling story at first glance. It was good to be a rich woman on the Titanic.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Without actual trying, I'd think that the 3-dimensional grid chart would do the job. Dimensions: group (class, crew), sex, and "survived", expression is count.
bismart
Creator
Creator

Not applicable

This one is using a trellis chart...

Not applicable

Hi,

I think the chart is good...just that it's not-so-known and bit difficult to understand. Trelis can achieve this to an extent but some questions remain unanswered:

1) Overall data distribution for a dimension (e.g. male/female ratio). Looking at the new chart we can easily depict the female/male ratio for each class.

2) We can drill down to more detail by adding more dimensions. In the titanic example, we can add fourth dimension 'Region' and can answer questions like how many surviving males travelling 1st class were from Europe?

And last, all this is one single chart.....it would be great if we can do this in QV.

Thanks

Amit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bismart was very close to my suggestion, just a wrong (in opinion) style. This is what I meant
It is better than trellis because it shows the relative numbers visually.

stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Hi Amit,

One of my main problems with the chart presented is the arbitrary order of the dimensions. If you change the order of any of the dimensions, the shape of your graph is completely different.

Also, the overlapping colours (again, the colours are arbitrary and mean nothing) is potentially confusing.

I would love to hear Stephen Few's opinion on this one. Maybe I will email him about it.

Regards,

Stephen

Not applicable

My first try was to have the same approach as Michael; a grid chart with "pie bubbles". The only drawback is that you can't compare the "yes/no" rate for female crew. Another problem is that it's not really utilizing the space very well. But I still think it beats the original visualization! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

kjn,
The number of female crew is very small, hence that little dot, but you get a nice 50/50 pie if click on it.