Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

A really basic question on selections and missing values

I'm sure this question has come up before and I'm almost embarrassed for asking it. But it's baffling me.

Suppose I have a table of companies (C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6) and a second table, mapping companies to head office.

e.g.

Company   Head office

C1                HO1

C2                HO1

C3                HO2

C4                HO1

C4                HO2

Note that a company can map to more than one head office in my example. Also, C5 and C6 have no head office.

If I create a table with two columns, Company and Head office, then I'll get a nice list of the mappings, and there will be a '-' for the missing data against C5 and C6. Now, if I filter on Head office by choosing NOT HO2, then the result will only show me HO1. C5 and C6 will no longer be included because there are no associated records in the HO table.

On one hand this makes sense to me, but on the other, surely filtering NOT HO2 should also include those records for which there is no head office. Hopefully, the example attached might make more sense.

One thing I could do is create a mapping for all the companies without a head office (e.g. add C5 and C6 to the map, but call the head office "NA" or something. This would work, I'm sure, but in my live example, there are close to 100,000 rows of data and I'm reluctant to generate so many extra rows if there's a better way of doing it.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

James

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

One way you could change this is a resident load.  That way it would use the same entries already stored in memory and map the N/A to each of the companies of your choosing.

LOAD * INLINE [

Company

C1

C2

C3

C4

C5

C6 ];

left join

LOAD * INLINE [

Company , HeadOffice

C1,HO1

C2,HO1

C3,HO2

C4,HO1

C4,HO2

];

MapFinal:

LOAD Company,

IF(isNull(HeadOffice), 'N/A',HeadOffice)as HeadOffice,

'  ' as Junk

Resident Joined;

Drop table Joined;

Attached is an example of this, even for 100,000 rows it shouldn't take that much longer.

Hope this helps!

-Brandon

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

One way you could change this is a resident load.  That way it would use the same entries already stored in memory and map the N/A to each of the companies of your choosing.

LOAD * INLINE [

Company

C1

C2

C3

C4

C5

C6 ];

left join

LOAD * INLINE [

Company , HeadOffice

C1,HO1

C2,HO1

C3,HO2

C4,HO1

C4,HO2

];

MapFinal:

LOAD Company,

IF(isNull(HeadOffice), 'N/A',HeadOffice)as HeadOffice,

'  ' as Junk

Resident Joined;

Drop table Joined;

Attached is an example of this, even for 100,000 rows it shouldn't take that much longer.

Hope this helps!

-Brandon

Not applicable
Author

Great solution, thanks Brandon!