Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bilalgunay
Contributor III
Contributor III

A specific way to present data with a bar chart

Hello everyone,

below you see a bar chart to represent a key figure with yearmonth as dimension. I also have the bars seperated with colors for different countries (kind of 2nd dimension)

Does this possible directly, I could not see such selection as a style. Or in Qlik, this would be only possible with extentions? If yes to first question, could you outline the steps I should take?

After successful implementation of this I want to have the 2nd dimension (country for now) as a cyclic Group which would go more deeper with Plants and then Storages etc. (cyclic group is there already if it would be possible to have as 2nd dimension)

Appreciate the help and answers,

Bilal

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bilal,

First select two fields as Dimensions then go to style and check Stacked as Subtype.

Create a Cyclic Group and in the place of second dimension mention the Cyclic Group name it will work.

PFA sample

Regards

Ritesh

View solution in original post

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

>> After successful implementation of this I want to have the 2nd dimension (country for now) as a cyclic Group which would go more deeper with Plants and then Storages etc. (cyclic group is there already if it would be possible to have as 2nd dimension)

You should go with a drill--down group instead of a cyclic in this case.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bilal,

First select two fields as Dimensions then go to style and check Stacked as Subtype.

Create a Cyclic Group and in the place of second dimension mention the Cyclic Group name it will work.

PFA sample

Regards

Ritesh

Or
MVP
MVP

This looks like a standard bar chart with two dimensions and one expression. Are you having any sort of particular problem getting it done?

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

>> After successful implementation of this I want to have the 2nd dimension (country for now) as a cyclic Group which would go more deeper with Plants and then Storages etc. (cyclic group is there already if it would be possible to have as 2nd dimension)

You should go with a drill--down group instead of a cyclic in this case.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
bilalgunay
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Yes now that I tried and saw, I think it can be even a better option.

bilalgunay
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

First of all, it was my mistake to not use the "stacked" option for standard bar chart.

Yes with two dimensions (even when one was a cyclic or drill down group) and an expression I had the result, that I was expecting.

Could you tell me if it works with Combo Charts too? I tried now and seems like it does not. I mean having 2 dimensions and 2 expressions where 1 expression is a Bar and other is a Line. Stacked Bar Chart option did not do what I was expecting when I had 2 expressions.

Example below:

Or
MVP
MVP

I haven't tried something like that, but intuitively I wouldn't expect it to work. When you have multiple expressions, you need to use your legend for expressions, meaning you can't also use it for dimensions. This would also prevent you from having a stacked bar, I think.

Insofar as Cyclic vs. Drill - use drill if you always want to view the lower dimension (Plant) to only show one higher dimension (country) at a time. If you want to e.g. compare German plants to Italian plants, you'll have to use cyclic groups. I personally have a strong preference for cyclic groups because the drill behavior (which always requires a single member selected from the higher dimension) is counter-productive in most use cases.

bilalgunay
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hmm, I see your points. Thanks for the constructive answer Or Shoham.

I will also keep the difference in mind when it comes to cyclic vs drill.