cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christian_Lauritzen
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Accessing the default expression header value

Here is a challenge. How do you access the Expression total in as a function?

Take a look at these three expressions. The first one is called "Calls". The second and the third refer to the first by using its name and

Expression references.png

Now, I would like to refer to Calls from the Titel. I looking for a solution for how to get a reference to the total value of Calls, not to re-write the expression in defined in Calls itself (e.g. count(distinct CallID)). I would love the syntax below, but that does not work. Nor does Column(1), or sum(Column(1)) or Sum(Aggr(sum(Column(1), CallID))). Do you have an elegant solution for this?

Header.png

Email: christian.lauritzen@b3.se
4 Replies
Christian_Lauritzen
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

You can use a variable;

Header: ='Text '&$(vExpression)

and

Expression: =$(vExpression)

But that is cheating. It is the same thing as copying the expression.

Colin-Albert

You can add the text to the Comments box.

This keeps the column label clear, and the comment will be displayed when the user hovers on the header

comment.JPG.jpg

Christian_Lauritzen
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Thanks Colin, but that does unfortunately not help me to access the total of the expression.

Colin-Albert

As Christian says, you can set a variable for the expression and then use the same variable in both the expression window and comment window.

This has the advantage that the comment is kept up-to-date with any changes to the expression only being made in one place.

The disadvantage is that any changes to the expression can become cryptic as you are editing a text version of the expression and  the syntax help does not always work when editing expression variables.