Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Alarms in QlikView

Hi,

up to now I have never worked with this feature.

Now I got our IT to set up an email_account for the server-user that we created to take care of all the reload_tasks on the QlikViewServer

<=> There is no Outlook installed on the server, so sending emails from that account does not work so far.

In the QMC, we have successfully set up an automated email to be sent whenever a reload_task fails

<=> So far, that was set to use a username and password and I entered my data. It worked fine.

I just set that to "use Distribution Service account" and it still works fine.

Can anyone tell me, or is there some how_to around, how I can do that so I can set up an alarm in QlikView?

Thank you!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

QV Desktop uses the Mail config / smtp relay set up in User Preferences.  Easy to test as it has <Test> button, and you can also test via the Alert Wizard.

•      Is that all ok ?

QMC uses the Mail config /  smtp relay set up in, System | Mail Server.  Unfortunately no <Test> button here, but you say email set up via System | Distribution | BI.ReloadEngine | Alert Email work ok.

I had a similar problem last year and it transpired I had set an email rule on my personal email to move all emails from the QV email address to a folder and I was not looking in that email folder.  Could be worth your while double checking your local client email rules.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the QlikView Desktop have a look at :

• Tools
  • Alert Wizard

Sending an email does not a local Outlook client installed.

What it needs is an email server that will act as an smtp relay

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Bill,

I have found the function in QlikView and tested it "successfully" - a popup  I have set up does appear, it's just the email that doesn't materialize.

The issue is, the QMC is not installed locally, but on the server - the email_server is different from the one where the QlikViewServer is installed and that server (where the QlikViewServer is) cannot access the Xchange_server.

<=> I guess that that alarm_fct. would be using the email_server we have set up in the QMC?

=>   That would make me wonder because, as I said, the emails rgd. the reload_tasks work and I have successfully set it to "use Distribution service account" - so the QDS can send emails in that case ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

QV Desktop uses the Mail config / smtp relay set up in User Preferences.  Easy to test as it has <Test> button, and you can also test via the Alert Wizard.

•      Is that all ok ?

QMC uses the Mail config /  smtp relay set up in, System | Mail Server.  Unfortunately no <Test> button here, but you say email set up via System | Distribution | BI.ReloadEngine | Alert Email work ok.

I had a similar problem last year and it transpired I had set an email rule on my personal email to move all emails from the QV email address to a folder and I was not looking in that email folder.  Could be worth your while double checking your local client email rules.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Bill,

it works now!

I had not set that up in the user_settings at all because to my knowledge it would not work - I didn't think of that when IT finally did set up an account today.

Now I simply entered there the settings we have in that automatic reload_failure_alarm in QMC - and now it works.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

one more question: I have now successfully set this up and it works, the emails are being sent - but seemingly they are sent only as soon as I open the QlikView_app, not at the time of reload as I have actually specified. The reload happens on the server in regular intervals.

Needless to say, an email sent the moment I open the app to look at the chart does not add any value ...

Can you help me there? Why could that be?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you set the Alert email to check 'On Post Reload' as opposed to the default of 'On Open'.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Yes, I have.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you running QV 11.2 SR5 ?

I know that version had some issues with Alert Emails

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

That could well be. We had some mayor server trouble around the beginning of July and we updated to the then newest version.

The client build as it is in the QMC is 11.20.12451.0