Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alternate States and Drill-Down Groups

Has anyone gotten this to work in QlikView 11?

I have some alternate states set up for comparison purposes and was hoping to use a drill-down chart that I'm using elsewhere in the same document.

* I copied the working drill-down chart into two new places and assigned each its own alternate state.

* No, they're new objects, not links!

No mas. When I attempt to make a selection and drill down, it simply doesn't drill down - I get a single bar.

Has anyone else gotten these two to work together, or might this be Yet Another QlikView Bug?

Thanks,

Kent

18 Replies
bhorneber
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi all,

based on Cesar's answer I build a file using conditional dimensions (with function GetPossibleCount) and a text object with actions (to clear selections).

It's not a solution, but might help some people to build a workaround.

Benedikt

Not applicable
Author

This is working as expected/designed.

Groups(drill down/cyclic) are defined under Document Properties, which reflects the entire document with a default state, rather than a particular object with an alternate state.

This is a consequence of the fact the groups are defined globally for the entire document and not locally for a specific object, and the way alternate states is implemented.  Alternate states only propagates to a specified object (i.e. not a global group).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Daniel,

I can understand that it's working as "expected" because it sounds like Alternate States were an outgrowth of Detach. However, I sure hope it wasn't "designed" that way - There's already an awful lot of weird undocumented dependencies, quirks, and inconsistencies in QlikView that are the antithesis of good design.

Not applicable
Author

You apply the alternate state to a Set expression and not the sheet or an object on a sheet. Do this and drill down works as it should.

e.g SUM({yourAlternateState<your Set Expression>}your Variable)

bhorneber
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi John,

could you please provide a demo file (feel free to use my attached file from above)?

I tried, but cannot make your proposal work.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes, agreed. this does work.

It's a bit of a mission though but it does work.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank , this has helped

How would the condition statement "=if(GetPossibleCount(Country)=1,False(),True())"  look

if i want to create a drill down to the 4th dimension e.g. Continent>Country>State>City ?

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

hi Nhlanhla, i have the same problem as you do. I am curious did you find a solution? thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

HI Jinhua

In my case I wanted to drill down 4 levels. Province>Local_Market>Centre>Name.

Each level gets more specific.

NBA drilldown.PNG

The conditional statements I used for each level were as follows:

Province_NBA : =if(GetPossibleCount(PROVINCE_NBA)=1,False(),true())

Local_Market: =if(GetPossibleCount(PROVINCE_NBA)=1,True(),False())

Centre_NBA: =if(GetPossibleCount(LOCAL_MARKET)=1,True(),False())

AE_Name_NBA: =if(GetPossibleCount(CENTRE_NBA)=1,True(),False())

At each level the formula counts the level above it except for the first 2 levels. If you want your graph to drill down more than 2 levels you will have to use a line chart because bar graphs don't drill down more than 2 levels.

This is how my graph looks

First level:  Province_NBA : =if(GetPossibleCount(PROVINCE_NBA)=1,False(),true())

Second level:  Local_Market: =if(GetPossibleCount(PROVINCE_NBA)=1,True(),False())

Third level: Centre_NBA: =if(GetPossibleCount(LOCAL_MARKET)=1,True(),False())

Fourth level:  AE_Name_NBA: =if(GetPossibleCount(CENTRE_NBA)=1,True(),False())

I hope this was helpful.