Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Alternative to Interval Match

Hi,

I currently have a model where I am loading in a table detailing where people were based and between what dates. For e.g.

Name     Location          From               To

Bob        London            01/01/2015      31/05/2015

Bob        New York        01/06/2015      31/12/2015

In another table in my model I am given a particular date and need to find out where that person is based at that time. I've got this working using an interval match function, but the number of records is increasing greatly and it's starting to put quite a drain on the reload time. Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks

3 Replies
john_s_w_wood
Creator
Creator

Hi

What is your min and max date in your data?  - the lowest 'From' and highest 'To' ? If it is then we need to look elsewhere.

I'm not sure where you are with resident loads and joins but you might be able to link your location mapping table to the main transaction table with an inner join so you only get entries for dates in the transaction table.

(The assumption I am making is that you are getting every date between the lowest from to the highest to, in the example above every day between 01/01/2015 and 31/12/2015)

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

How many persons are there that need this matching. What is the size of your resulting IntervalMatch extra table(s). What is the span of day that you really need to check against. Are you still using full date as the linking fields in the IntervalMatch? Date could be reduced into a much smaller storage if you are able to limit the scope of the date(s).

karelibarcar
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

I had the same problem in Qlik Sense, the size of my resulting IntervalMatch extra table was around 83'000.000 and it crashed. So, I deleted the fields that I didn't need and Loaded Data with a Distinct clause. Thanks for your suggest.

XOXO