Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Application sizing

Hi all,

I am facing this problem: a customer of us has a very large amount of data to load into QlikView, but he works on non-recent hardware so I need to tell him the minimum requirements of a new workstation.

He needs to load a very big fact table, counting almost 6.000.000 rows having 130 columns (50% of that are decimal numeric column), and a few lookup tables (the biggest one counts 100.000 rows, the others are very small). Now I am asking you how ho to determine the new hardware configuration that he needs to buy to work with that data; Where can I find documentation about sizing or rules of thumb to achieve this problem?

Thank you in advance

Kind regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

There are some great white papers on application sizing - just search in this forum. However, I don't think you need to be particularly scientific as it is not a server environment but a single user desktop. From what you have said I would recommend a minimum of 16GB RAM (so obviously a 64-bit OS is required). CPU is extremely important - go for the best you can afford like an Intel i7 - 2 if possible!

Hope this helps,

Jason

View solution in original post

6 Replies
manojkvrajan
Luminary
Luminary

Carlo, There is no straight away documentation to meet this need to my knowledge. However, QlikView has basic environment requirements to install the server. It is good to analyze the current and forecast the future business needs and identify the RAM and CPU aligned with the needs. Hardware requirements may subject to change when there is increase in user base or number of applications. Please provide more details about the customer environment and we can figure out some recommendations.

Not applicable
Author

Hi, the environment is very simple: we have a single machine single user QlikView Desktop installation, and I think that the maximum amount of data would be less than 8.000.000 rows.

Please let me know if further informations are needed.

Thank you

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

There are some great white papers on application sizing - just search in this forum. However, I don't think you need to be particularly scientific as it is not a server environment but a single user desktop. From what you have said I would recommend a minimum of 16GB RAM (so obviously a 64-bit OS is required). CPU is extremely important - go for the best you can afford like an Intel i7 - 2 if possible!

Hope this helps,

Jason

manojkvrajan
Luminary
Luminary

I second that Jason's recommendation for your requirement.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you both, I will follow your suggestions.

Have a nice day, bye

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

That spec should really deal with it but if there's any way you can test it on your own servers first and monitor the performance then there's no substitute for live testing.