Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

BO Universe

Hi There,

Has anyone tried using QV to access BO universe before?

Could you shed some lights?

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jason,

We are analyzing the case where we can use Qlikview instead of BO xcelsius.

I would like to know if was possible to connect to a BO universe via a webservice ( Business object XI 3.1 QAAWS)?

Do you have any idea?

Thanks,

Adrien

Not applicable
Author

We are looking to do exactly the same thing, but without an easy out of the box way of accessing our data from Busness Objects universes qlikview is a non-starter for us which is a shame as it looks a good product

Not applicable
Author

Hi there,

We are currently building a dashboard that has various sources coming from BO, BW, SQL.

To extract data from BO universe, what we are doing is, we use the query that the user defined, copy the query and modify it and create a view in oracle database for QV to connect to. I'm not sure if there's a better way, but this is definitely a FREE solution for us, hope this helps....

Not applicable
Author

While I understand your desire for leveraging the painful work required to create Universes within Business Objects, I can't comment on that directly.

What I can comment on is that many companies are abandoning Business Objects in favor of QlikView for business analytics and dashboarding. The difference between the effort both initially and ongoing between Business Objects and QlikView is a magnitude of effort. For many, it's not that big a leap and also a tremendous gain to leave the painful world of B.O. behind and jumping on the QlikView bandwagon.

So for many, it's not "how do I leverage all the hours I put into building Universes", it's "I'll now spend a fraction of the time I used to spend building Business Objects universes with QlikView, and my end users will be thrilled with the increased flexibility I've given them with QlikView as well."

Not applicable
Author

Hi Scott,

You have a good point there, ever since Qlikview is introduced, everyone (at least those i know), they are asking for Qlikview and asking for more! and I've also seen how Qlikview vendor won over the implementation tender competing with big brothers like BO, BW, simply because Qlikview takes lesser time to implement and to build.

Not long ago, we had a POC with Qliktech for reporting on SAP's FC module but it wasn't successful not very sure about the details, but it's something to do with the amount of data.

At the moment, we are extracting processed data from BO / BW. But the point here is that, Qlikview is a very different tool compared to the so called "traditional" BI tool, they are normally very strong in ETL and handling huge amount of data.

I'm not sure if one day Qlikview will come out with their own ETL but the current one with the RELOAD button is letting me wait way too long.

Above is solely my personal experience, after all, i personally still prefer Qlikview because of its simplicity and the user interface. Never failed to create the "WOW " effect during demo.

If anyone has different view, please share... Until then, happy Qliking ... Geeked

suniljain
Master
Master

I alredy Implemented One Project with SAP BW and Qlikview For world's largest cement company.

To process huge data and give quick response to user is not possible with BO.

I worked on crores of data of cube and DSO But still is not issue with perofrmance.

But Still Qlikview have to improve their performance in some area with SAP R/3 and BW.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunil,

How do you connect Qlikview to BO and BW?

suniljain
Master
Master

we are connecting Qlikciew to BW with the help of SAP Connector 5.4.

In SAP Coonector You can directly visulalise all info object, tables og cube ,DSO,Query.

Speed Of Extraction from BW is too fast because all data maintained on BW in Indexed manner.