Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Best way to implement Section Access

Hi,

I have a business requirement to limit the data visible to users of a dashboard to just those clients owned by them. Reading through documentation, it seems what I want to use is Section Level Access - correct?

One thing that confuses me about this - and I can't seem to find the answer in anything I've read - is that it seems the users need ANOTHER username and password different to the Access Point username and password for section access? I've had to use a local ActiveDirectory on my Server as we don't have active directory configured correctly across our organisation to use the central one, so they already have a different username and password to access the AP than other parts of our corporate network (using SME edition of the server)

Other than section level security is there any other mechanism I could use? Select the logged in users name in a list box using a trigger and lock that selection box?

Thanks for the help,

Rory.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

In this case you can avoid using USERID and PASSWORD. You can have something like this:

section access;

load * inline[

ACCESS,NTNAME

ADMIN,machine_name\Pippo

ADMIN,machine_name\Pluto

];

section application;

Anyway, make a copy of your application  without section access before having any test, because if something goes wrong you will not be able to open your application anymore!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

For what i know, the best way to do that is using section access. In the section Access you can use the NTNAME

filed to use the name user owns in the active directory, but in your case, since you don't have (if i have understood well) an Active directory that is unique for your organisation you have to use the voices "USERID" and "PASSWORD".

Not applicable
Author

I'm using local users and groups on the server itself, so each user accessing the Access Point is being authenticated against that local AD, so I guess I can use the username from that in the NTNAME field, Does that mean the USERID and PASSWORD can be empty when setting up section access?

Thanks for your help!

Rory.

Not applicable
Author

In this case you can avoid using USERID and PASSWORD. You can have something like this:

section access;

load * inline[

ACCESS,NTNAME

ADMIN,machine_name\Pippo

ADMIN,machine_name\Pluto

];

section application;

Anyway, make a copy of your application  without section access before having any test, because if something goes wrong you will not be able to open your application anymore!

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your help Roberto. I'll let you know how I get on!