Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III

Button Action - Launch Videos/Word doc

Hi there,

I am trying to house release notes and a video trainings on our qlikview server and I thought since I cant assign viewing rights through the QMC to them (so they would appear in Access point) that I would have them launch from an action within the application. This would ensure that only the users with access to the application could view them.

What I am stuck on is that any way I configure the action, the launch only works from the desktop version of the application. As soon as I try to launch it via Access point I get a 404 error as if the file cant be found. 

My application exists on the server. 

I have tried both videos in mp4 format and documents using word.

Thanks

Labels (7)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

See if this video helps..

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

View solution in original post

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

You have to use the URL for the IIS server. It would be the same as the one you open to get to the Accesspoint, but you would not use Qlikview. Http://FQDN/New Folder name

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Does the Qlik service account have at least read access rights to the folders and files?

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Yes the service account has permissions. The files exist within the same folder tree as the application, albeit on a different branch. Permissions are the same for all the folders in the tree.

cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Anyone have any ideas?

@Bill_Britt - I saw a post you had on a similar topic that mentioned creating a virtual directory. I wasnt able to get this working as we have the web server on a different server (Same domain) as our application server. The best I was able to get was the button to launch a new webpage but it was blank. 

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Can you attach a sample QVW with the link/URLS you are using. You can change the server names in the urls to not match your system.

Bill

cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@Bill_Britt ,

Sorry for the delay.

I wasn't able to find the post that had your instructions on how to configure the virtual directory although I had followed the steps in the past to create the virtual directory and while the button would launch documents when accessed via the desktop application, it failed to launch them via Access point. 

Both the documents I am trying to open and the QVW live on the same Application server. Accesspoint is a different web server. 

If it matters, I am interested in launching multiple file types (PDF, .MP4).

Thanks

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

See if this video helps..

cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@Bill_Britt ,

Thanks for the video. It was very helpful.

Unfortunately, I hit a snag in that my applications are stored on one server and the web server is stand alone. So instead of using the C drive like you did for storing documents on the web server, I simply used the network path to get me over to the folder on the application server. The issue seems to come up though with the user trying to access the documents. It looks like it is using the anonymous user and I am not sure how I could change this so it always used a dedicated user.

See the error attached I am getting.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

As a quick rely, you need to set the virtual folder authentication to Windows only and make sure the users have access to the physical folder and files on the application folder.
cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@Bill_Britt ,

Thanks for the continued help here. 

I am not entirely sure how to set the windows authentication, I assume its on the same page your video sets the anonymous authentication. 

When I created the virtual directory, instead of using the default login, I specified the service account that is running the QMC. I tested and it has permission, as does my login. Maybe this step wasnt necessary and I will test removing it, however my thought process was that it would make it easier for all users to access the files rather than having to explicitly grant permissions to that folder to them all. 

I realized though, that in your video you copy the link which has localhost in it, however since my files exist on an application server I assume I wouldn't be able to use the web servers local host url. 

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.