Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Button to import excel for end user

Hello -

I want to create a button on QlikView dashboard for the end user to import the excel file. The file would be a very simple few column files and would have to be completely reloaded (not incremental etc.). This would be done on the dashboard through Qlikview Access point since the end user will not have access to edit script under 'File' menu. Would this be possible?

Thanks

6 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi,

short answer: No - if the user does not have the client installed, he cannot trigger a reload of the app. Period.
=> You would have to build a macro to do it - and I'm not sure that would work - but macros are always resource-heavy.

If they have the client installed, you can grant them the right to reload, but not to edit the script. That would be an alternative.

If the volume of data to be reloaded is not too big, it would also be possible to just schedule it (in the QMC) to be automatically reloaded every 5min or so - would that be acceptable?

Not applicable
Author

If the user does have desktop version, would a button that would allow them the import and browse to the location of the file be possible? I am thinking I have to go that direction instead of Access point.

Thanks

simondachstr
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You can add a button which contains the action External -> Reload.

This activates a reload of the script.

If you wish for the user to be able to set the location of the files to be picked up, you can combine the button with an Input Box, which sets a variable which is then being used in the script.

Not applicable
Author

Would you have an example on how to set the variable with input box?

simondachstr
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

See the attached example.

The variable can e.g. hold the path where the Excel files are located and you can load their content using *.xlsx

Not applicable
Author

Great this would work but how would they browse through their computer for the file? If I define the path in the variable, the path may be different on their computerl

thanks