Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

CAL transforms Personal Edition into Developer

Hi all,

I am just starting to look at off-line access to documents. We are currently using 8.20 and so I downloaded 9.00sr2 just so I could explore the latest functionality. The start page announced quite happily that this was 'Personal Edition'. I do have a named user CAL on the server and apart from the 'PE' have only the plugin installed (ie no other local windows client).

I opened a server document with this 'Personal Edition' which then showed 'You are currently leasing a licence from xxxxxxxxx'. I copied a qvw from the server to the desktop and then went off-line (I actually rebooted the laptop away from the network because thats the kind of guy I am)

Next, I opened the qvw on the desktop and was surprised that I had full Enterprise access. I had been expecting (I think) only Analyzer-like functionality (ie read). I modified the document and then went back on the network to find it (using 'Enterprise' on the server) as I saved it.

My questions are:

1) Is this to be expected or is it a back-door giving Enterprise-for-every-CAL?

2) How could I restrict the local client to 'Analyser' only?

Regards,

Gordon

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

Gordon

Per the usual leasing model, a Personal Edition user that can connect to a Server, can lease a license. Same rules apply as specified in the QVS manual.

In 9.0 the distinction in the between Dev/Pro/Analyzer was removed from the client install. Registry settings now control the level of functionality. Manipulation of these is described in the document attached to this thread

Regards

John Trigg

Global Product Manager

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

Gordon

Per the usual leasing model, a Personal Edition user that can connect to a Server, can lease a license. Same rules apply as specified in the QVS manual.

In 9.0 the distinction in the between Dev/Pro/Analyzer was removed from the client install. Registry settings now control the level of functionality. Manipulation of these is described in the document attached to this thread

Regards

John Trigg

Global Product Manager

Not applicable
Author

Thanks John,

I hadnt appreciated just what the collapse of the products and the availability of PE truly meant!

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gordon,

Even I too got surprised. I was working with the Personal Edition and I asked for the Developer License so that I can open any of the documents from the other resources. Then they told me to open the application from the server and the copy the same to my system and later found that I am able to open the others application which is not developed in my system even without the license. I had only personal edition installed into my system.

What exactly is happening here.

Not applicable
Author

Thats quite correct. If you load the Windows client to your local machine and then connect to a server where you have a named CAL licence, 'Personal Edition' changes to a full version where the licence has a 30 day lease (every time you connect to the server it refreshes it).

So the days of having to buy a developer version of QLikview (was it called Enterprise?) are no more - any user with a valid named CAL and the windows client installed has access to the full developer functionality!

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gordon,

gordon.savage wrote:
Thats quite correct. If you load the Windows client to your local machine
<div></div>

What do you mean by windows client? Do you mean to say that Personal Edition is also called as Windows client. Clear that to me first.

gordon.savage wrote:
Thats quite correct. If you load the Windows client to your local machine and then connect to a server where you have a named CAL licence, 'Personal Edition' changes to a full version where the licence has a 30 day lease

If you mean to say that Personal Edition=Windows client then I have already personal edition is already there in my system. Then my manager told me to copy one application from the server to my local system. Once I copied and to my local system tried to open the same it got open. I really got surprise to see this. I got shocked how a personal edition is able to open the application that has been developed in other system. At that time I need whether license is enabled in Personal edition or not. Later seeing the above reply from you I checked in my personal edition then got to know that currently I am leasing the license.

So do you mean to say that I leased license which will be valid for 30 days.

gordon.savage wrote:
(every time you connect to the server it refreshes it).

Do you mean to say by the above that whenever I am connected to the server then only I will able to share the documents. If I am not in the network do you mean to say that I will not be able to open anything from the other resources.

gordon.savage wrote:
So the days of having to buy a developer version of QLikview (was it called Enterprise?) are no more - any user with a valid named CAL and the windows client installed has access to the full developer functionality!

I am not sure whether I have valid named CAL or not but seeing all your point I am assumping that I have the leased license for 30 days. Where I will be having functionality of qlikview client just like a developer license.

Not applicable
Author

WIndows client is Qlikview loaded on your local machine - the full developer thing (as opposed to the plugin for example).

You need to understand that Personal Edition and the 'full thing' are only different in Personal Edition NOT being licenced, so when you are leasing a licence then you are not using the software as 'Personal Edition' anymore but the full thing. When you are using Qlikview with a leased licence you can open and change any document (you have access to) and any document you create can be shared amongst anyone else who has the 'full thing' (not Personal Edition) and deployed through Qlikview Server.

Hope this clarifies!

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for your help.

(every time you connect to the server it refreshes it).

What do u mean by this? What will get refreshed?

Also let me know will I be able to work when I am not in network. Please clarify these things to me.

Not applicable
Author

Every time you connect to the server it refreshes it - 'it' being the leased licence. So while you are connected to the server the leased licence will be valid for 30 days; when you are working off-line it decreases by one day each day and if you don't connect to the server to refresh the licence after 30 days, then it will revert back to Personal Edition (but then become a 'full licence' with a 30 day lease the next time you connect).

The beauty of this is that you can develop applications off-line with the lease licence with all the functionality as if you were working on-line and then move them to your network later on.

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Gordon,

In practice how does the document version control work with a leased license?

I'm wondering how the document gets updated and in what fashion (automatically,manually, etc.).

For instance, I have Personal Edition on my desktop.
I have a Named User CAL on the server available to me.

If I lease my named CAL license for 30 days, how do I take an available QVW application "offline" with me, edit the document and then re-post or overwrite it back to the server so my newly updated app is available for everyone else to see and use. What are the best practices with this scenario?

thanks!