Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
digichap28
Creator
Creator

Calendar values dissapear when adding section access

Hi folks,

Im having an issue with a calendar object which is not showing all the values when I activate the section access. I actually tried to find out the solution on the forum but the only one https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-App-Development/Calendar-Disabled-When-View-On-QV-Server/td-p...  that was close to my issue, doesnt help me to solve it.

The below image shows that the calendar object called "Calendar A (Disabled?)" shows all the February values disabled even though, the field Date A holds values for that month as you can see on the listbox.

ErrorCalendarQV.PNG

Im attaching the qvw where I recreated what is happening with my original app when opened on a browser.

The hidden script password is "123".

The qlikview server version Im deploying the app is : 12.10.20300.0

Thanks in advance!!

Labels (2)
9 Replies
digichap28
Creator
Creator
Author

No one with this issue before ?

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

See duplicate post: https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-App-Development/Calendar-values-dissapear-when-adding-section...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
digichap28
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Brett, 

I tried to reply to you on the other post but it appears to be locked up for some reason... 

I wanted to thank you for sharing all the info you provided. But, after reading and researching around I still cant find a solution. How can the dates be shown on a normal listbox and not on the calendar object as it was disabled ? I would appreaciate any help you or anyone else can provide because I have tried many things and cant solve this issue. I had to deactivate my section access in order to let my users use the calendar object without any problem.

Im lost. Maybe I'm making a dumb mistake ?

dates.jpg

Best regards,

Diego

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

I locked the other post to avoid further confusion.  The most likely issue is you do not have all the dates in your data model due to not having created a master calendar...

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/The-Master-Calendar/ba-p/1471527

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
digichap28
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi again @Brett_Bleess,

I have a master calendar and have checked multiple times if my data model has all the dates, and it does. This seems to be a slider/calendar object bug (on calendar mode) because it just doesnt work well. 

If I activate the section access and open the document either on a browser or turn the webview on Qlikview desktop, the dates are not available on the date selector but they do, and are selectable on the same object's list. Just as shown on the below image.

dates1.jpg

On the other hand, if I keep my section access deactived, and try the same things I mentioned above, there is no problem with the calendar object and all the available dates on my data model are shown and selectable as expected.

dates.jpg

I have really checked all the links you shared, and also searched for any other post related to this but havent found anything.

Just to mention... I'm certified as Qlikview 12 data architect  and Business analyst, and have more than 4 years working with it. This is something new to me.

I really appreciate all the help you can provide.

Best regards!

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

How about an example application that shows the issue so folks can dig into the data model etc...  If you really want help, that is what it is going to take on this one I am afraid.  Of course you will need to leave Section Access commented out so folks can access the app, add their ID and do a binary load of the app etc.  I cannot promise anyone will be able to sort it out, but that is the best I can offer.  The one question I do have is does the Calendar object use the same field as the date list box you show in the screenshot?  

Regards,
Brett

digichap28
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for replying quickly @Brett_Bleess  

Regarding your question if the calendar object is using the same field... It is. Actually, it is the same calendar object but I had to take two screenshots separately to be able to show both user options for selecting the dates (drop down list and the calendar). Sorry if I confused you with this. 

As per the example app; the initial post has the files attached, as well as some extra info.  I want to add that I tested this issue with the following browsers:

* Google Chrome  80.0.3987.163 

* Internet Explorer 11.719.18362.0

* Microsoft Edge  44.18362.449.0

Files.jpg

Many thanks,

Diego

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Just a side note, the 12.10 track went end of life in November 2019, so I would advise you to get things updated to a supported track, as there will be nothing we can do for you via Support should you submit a support case on the 12.10 track due to the end of life last November...

I am convinced things are working as expected with Section Access in play, as the calendars should lock down to only the dates available for the selection/region to which the user is assigned.  If you want to see all dates, you would need a separate date field that is not tied back to the rest of the data model in that case I believe.  Things are working as designed, and you can see this pretty well if you comment the Section Access: line only in your hidden script and run the reload, that will allow you to see your Section Access fields, in particular the NTNAME, so you can add that as a list box to the application, and when  you select your ID, you can see that many dates in the list box are not available for selection, so the calendar will not allow those to be selected...  I think I just found another problem in that the user is not really linked to the data model, which would explain why when I leave reduction field blank, I am getting no possible values anywhere, so that is likely another design flaw in the model I believe.  This is the best I can do for you, I have spent quite a bit of time digging into things, and I see nothing that points to a defect at this time.  I would suggest you engage your account manager or a partner to assist with this application/use case if you cannot get things to work as you expect, but I have reached my end point of what I can do on this.

Regards,
Brett

digichap28
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks again @Brett_Bleess I appreciate all your help and time spent on this.

I agree with you on the section access funcionality. It reduces the data according to the setup, so there is no problem with it.

But for certain reason the calendar object doesnt show the dates when the section access is activated and the document is reloaded. What I just noticed is when that happens and then the document is manually opened and saved, the dates appear as expected. So I dont think it is a data model design issue either. 

Below is what I noticed after trying something else...

1) Commented out the section access line, and after reloading the document I checked if the dates were available for the user I was testing this bug with. As it can seen below, the dates are available.

1Error.png

2)  Uncommented the Section Access line, and after reloading the document I checked if the Calendar object was showing the dates. The result was exactly the same. The werent there for selection.

2Error.png

3) I opened the document, saved it, and refreshed my browser to get it updated. The outcome of doing that was that the calendar object showed magically the dates related to the user.    

3Error.png

I know the 12.10 track went end of life some months ago, and my idea is to actually propose my client to migrate to Sense at certain point, but I know there is no budget fot this, as there are other priorities right now. Thus, I'm trying to provide a solution.

The only way I can do this is by manually opening the document and saving it every time it gets reloaded by the QDS, as  mentioned above, but that would be inefficient and time consuming, as it happens every 3 hours. The other way I can think of right now even though I know is not the best practice; is by creating a windows task that runs a bash script which would open the document and save it after it gets reloaded.  If you or any other can come up with another idea, I would be glad to hear it.

Best regards,

Diego