Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can't OMIT linking fields?

Hello,

I am having a problem with OMIT in section access.

When OMIT any fields in the document, it works just fine... EXCEPT when I OMIT fields that are linking tables together.

Is there any documentation on this? Does anyone know a way to OMIT linking fields?

See attached example.

USERIDs are:

• ADMIN - Can see everything
  • USER1 - Has Region omitted
  • USER2 - Has Store and DATE omitted, but can still see DATE because it is a linking field...?

No passwords required.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I guess OMITting linking fields would create too many problems for the app.

Suddenly there would be tables with dimensions and fields used for expressions on opposite sides of the now non-existing join that would create a carthesian product and grind the document down to a halt.

I think you just have to model around the situation and come up with another solution than OMITting a linking field.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I guess OMITting linking fields would create too many problems for the app.

Suddenly there would be tables with dimensions and fields used for expressions on opposite sides of the now non-existing join that would create a carthesian product and grind the document down to a halt.

I think you just have to model around the situation and come up with another solution than OMITting a linking field.

Lee_Matthews
Former Employee
Former Employee

Are you omitting them simply because they are nonsense for the user? If so, then you so can use the hideprefix function instead. Just look up hideprefix in the help file.

Not applicable
Author

Hmmm, good point. The goal is to break the association between (for example) an account and the person who owns it, so certain users cannot see account owners. I guess I'll just have to find another way...

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Simon,

Lee & Johannes are right. In your case, you should have a data island which controls the Section Access field reduction. Which means you don’t have to OMIT the tables but do a concatenate load of NULL or 0 values to your FACT table. Then you can apply the SA using field reduction and this way you are not breaking the model and also not showing the numbers from these fields.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

Not applicable
Author

Deepak,

Thanks for the suggestion about a data island and concatenation, but I don’t think I understand what you mean. Can you post an example?

Thanks!

Simon Saugier | Cogent Company

O: 214.341.1004 ext 580 | M: 214.893.4020 | F: 214.853.5030

E: simon.saugier@cogentcompany.com<mailto:simon.saugier@cogentcompany.com> | W: www.cogentcompany.com

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Simon,

Let me ask you this question before I mock up an example. Do you want to completely hide the field? Or can you have the field in the model but the field returns Null or 0 value...does this work?

Example:

User1 can see everything except Region (This is your comment).

So if I still keep Region and for User1 it will return Null or 0 when he tries to use this field. Does this work? or you don't even want to show to User1 that there is a field called Region in your model? We can still solve it for either of them. Depends on what you want...

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

Not applicable
Author

That is a good idea. I think if the linking field could be NULLed out, that might be a good solution. It would have the same logical effect as deleting the field.

Simon Saugier | Cogent Company

O: 214.341.1004 ext 580 | M: 214.893.4020 | F: 214.853.5030

E: simon.saugier@cogentcompany.com<mailto:simon.saugier@cogentcompany.com> | W: www.cogentcompany.com