Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Cannot now access my qlikview files

I recently got a new windows 10 laptop and as I'm personal edition user, I cannot now access my qlikview files as this is the 4th time I've had to change laptops and so I've exceeded my document recoveries.

6 Replies
sunny_talwar

That is not an issue. I know it can be very frustrating if you are using personal edition. I have had this problem in the past when I was without a license.

Not applicable
Author

It is frustrating, its an odd restriction to have in place, especially for someone who only ever uses their own QV files...why punish someone for changing hardware and ultimately stop them from using the product.

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Wait... you are complaining about free software and something (4 recovery attempts) that was communicated with you early in the process? Why talk about "punish" if you got to use the software for free for 3 hardware changes?

Anyway... two solutions:

1. Buy a license
  2. Switch to Qlik Sense, as that allows you to open files made on other machines.

If you go with option 2, the conversion is just drag-and-drop. You do loose your front-end so will have to re-build those (but that is a lot easier on Qlik Sense). You even get to use the (free) cloud solution.

Be advised that the trade-off between being able to open files unlimited is you no longer have security. If you would like that, you will have to switch to Qlik Sense Enterprise (or buy that QlikView license).

May you live in interesting times!
Not applicable
Author

I understand he limitations and could understand time limitations, restrictions on features, etc but why when you have to change hardware...which is inevitable in this day and age...I'm a basically a hobbyist who is interested in the BI area and don't use the tool for business use so readily accept the limitations in use but why limit the number of times I can change laptops...that just strikes me as odd.

I am not interested in opening unlimited files...I am only interested in being able to continue to use my own files...I am not a serious enough user to want to rebuild my interfaces in QlikSense.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Consider this a sliding time limitation. Don't let your changing expectations trick you. This is not an unlimited free-to-use-forever tool. If you want to drive a Rolls-Royce...

Not applicable
Author

Its not time limited...I can continue to use QV for as long as I want to...I can even continue to do so with my current files for as long as my previous laptop survives.

I think like a lot of people the limitation in use is understood to be with sharing files with other users not with yourself...and I don't have a need to share files with others...so my expectations haven't changed.

Rolls-Royce is bit to pretentious for my tastes