Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunny_talwar

Cell flashes/blinks after a dynamic update takes place

Hi Guys -

I am testing dynamic update for one of the application where one of the user will make a change which will be visible to the other users. This all works well (so far), but what I am looking to add is the ability to make the updated cell values flash/blink (for 2 seconds) for other users so that they know that a value has been updated. Not sure if this is possible, but right now I am just exploring different options.

Best,

Sunny

rwunderlich‌, marcus_sommer‌, pcammaert‌, swuehl‌, troyansky please provide your expert advice.

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

Hi Sunny,

I have no own experience with dynamic updates in QlikView but when I look on the examples within the APIGuide or here: https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-7373 and here: https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-1852 I think it will be difficult to reach it directly. I could rather imagine that you need a second parallel change of variables with the identically values which could be then queried within a color-condition.

- Marcus

sunny_talwar
Author

You gave me something to test for. I am off from work today, but will test this out as soon as I am back to work and will revert with the results. Thank you Marcus!!

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Apart from the difficulty of making displayed values flicker/blink (largely client-dependent), I would imagine that the difficulty lies in keeping track of state. Are you targetting an environment where multiple users are allowed to modify values? Is it your intention to cover modifications to sets of values (like columns in straight tables) or to distinct values in - for example - simple text objects only? If there is no push-system in QlikView client-server communications (client initiates exchanges), is it ok that some clients never get notified because they are not doing anything in their document view?

sunny_talwar
Author

Hi Peter, thanks for your response. Here is how the business will use this app.

1) We will have some numbers that the business generates automatically but want a human verification from a particular set of individuals. In order to do this, there is a column in the database called checkout which can only have Yes or No. So, during the day the checkout says No, but as users verify there set of numbers, they would want to change the value of checkout from No to Yes. But this needs to change in two places

-> Database

-> Other instances of the application

I have been able to make both the above things work, the only thing I am trying to figure out is to check if I can flash (for few seconds) to make sure that they are made aware of a change.

Does that make sense?

marcus_sommer

Maybe something like: count({< Field = {'Yes'}>} Field) within a variable might work as trigger. Then you will need to know which record (ID) has changed. In principle this information should be available because without it how could the the change of the value for the record be adressed. An alternatively to this might be to set a timestamp by each change/entry (many databases have such features) and then to query the max(Timestamp).

- Marcus