Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Chaining documents

I have a question concerning chaining of three qlikview documents. I have used textboxes and the action open qlikview document as well as transfer selection state to jump from the first to the second app.

When I select attributes in the first app the attributes are transferred into the second app as well as into the third. However, when I select further attributes in the second app and go back to the first app the attributes are not transferred into the selection state of the first app. Furthermore if I click on initial status only the attributes in the selection state of the opened app are deleted.

Does anybody know a solution to the described problem or has anyone experienced similar problems with chaining documents?

Thank you!

Andrea

9 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Document chaining just means you can open another document from a Qlikview document and transfer the selection state. Document chaining does not keep the documents in sync, i.e. create one virtual document. Document chaining works as designed. Your expectations are just different. Perhaps you should consider simply using only one document and show/hide sheets as appropriate.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Is it possible to solve it via bookmarks?

ChristofSchwarz
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

I can think of two approaches to solve this:

• by user behaviour and action buttons
  • writing a document extension which - via a common setting file - keeps selections in sync between applications. Not sure, how much effort this means, but an experienced programmer could do it.

Ad "user behaviour and a button": As confirmed by an earlier response, doc chaining only syncronises the selection state at the "jumping point". So chaning a selection in the 2nd app and coming back to the first needs to be done (again) via an action button with "transfer state". Just switching back to the other open page in the browser will not have an effect on the selections at all.

It is probably even better to open the "chained" document in the same window, so the app1 is no longer visible and the user has use an action to go back ...

best regards

Not applicable
Author

There was a bug in prior to 11 SR5 (SR4 and earlier) that transition of state would fail after the second  movement.  So the ability to move back and forth between the documents as if it was one document and continue to carry your selections with you would fail.  In SR5 and SR6 things work fine you can move from document A to B make selections in B move back to A and the selections will continue to follow you.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

This is great news! The usefulness of document chaining has always been impeded by the fact that State was transferred only once. This is a great improvement. I've tested it in ajax and it works. Does not seem to work in the Developer client but that's ok. It works on the server.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Hi Nick,

Is it in Accesspoint???

Not applicable
Author

Hi rob,

I am having some issues with the Developer Client tool.

I am moving my selections from document A to B make selections in B move back to A and the selections are not working while coming to B->A in the Client tool but it's working in the Accesspoint.

Is the issue still there in all SR's. Because i am using 11 SR5

Thanks,

Shravan

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

‌Correct. As I said, the second transfer does not work in the developer client, but it does work on the server (access point).

Rob

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your Quick reply....Is there any other way to handle it as per your knowledge please let me know....

Regards,

Shravan