Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
regowins
Creator II
Creator II

Charts & Data Model

Hi,

I need some guidance with the following.  In the app I am working on I have a Client dimension linked to a fact table of metrics. The problem is I also have the Industry average in the client dimension linked to the same fact table within metrics.  For example, the Client dimension has, Client A, Client B, Client C & Industry Avg.   Generally, you calculate the Avg of the clients within the charts instead of it been pre-calculated, but this how the customer needs it for now.    How do I handle this is charts and trends where the customers wants to do comparisons of a single or multiple clients to the client average when clicking on a client?  The only way I can think of is to pull the client average dimension and metrics into a separate table within the data model. Are they better ways to do this?  Attached is visual example of what I am referring to.

Thanks for the help!

2 Replies
Not applicable

Hello.

I'm not really sure if I understand your problem correctly, but I think the very correct method is to calculate "Industry Avg" using expression instead of pre-calculate it - as you said. But if client really sticks to idea of pre-calculating this value, you can use the "Industry avg" as a member of Client dimension as long as the value for this member is in fact table - as it is normal client...

...BUT you must remember that this will cause problems f.e. with aggregating values on Client dimension - the "Industry avg" value will be added to f.e. sum of sales for all clients if you don't exclude it in expression.

I think for the most correct solution you should use 3 tables - one for client dimension, one for analytics dimension (simple value, avg etc.) and one for fact table (with id of client, id of analytics and value).

regowins
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks for the feedback. Currently the "Industry Avg" is a member of the client dimension with the corresponding values in he fact table.