Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Choose without clicking and scrolling

In the QV application that we have, we can only filter multiple fields by clicking then ctrl and clicking additional filters. Since there are hundreds of filters, and instead of rolling the ball on the mouse until I find the next filter I want to select, is there a way for me to type it in? I tried with commas and semi colons, but that didn't work.

IE - I'm trying to select certain fabrics. Fabric 034 and 156. To get from 034 to 156, i have to scroll all the way down until I see 156, the click to select again. That's time consuming, so is there a way for me to type it in?

Thanks,

Zhiyu

8 Replies
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I'm on version 10 and this could be different in past versions, but you should be able to use the the following search string to select the two values without scrolling.

034 or 156

Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Zhiyu,
First, type 034 (when the filter is active), and click on 034 when you see it.
Next, type 156 - when you see it, press CTRL and click on 156. Release CTRL.
You'll get both.

Not applicable
Author

Michael,

I tried that, but once I try to clear out the search field, everything closes out. I actually prefer not to use the search field because it then searches for everything pertaining to 034, when I only need it in a specific field (fabric). Once I type 034, i can choose it, but when I try to clear the field to search for another fabric, it just blanks out everything and omits my previous selection as well.

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Make sure you click on the value after doing the first search. You can also remove the astericks so that your search is exact. In the general tab of the list box properties you can define the default search setting to not be a wildcard search.

Or, here's another idea. Right-click on the list and select advanced search and something like the following function:

=match(Field,'034','156')

Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Properties, Presentation, Select 'Drop down select'. Now click on the black drop down and then start typing away for the filters you want to put

tanelry
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

In version 10 list box you can just type:
034 156
(space between values). Remove automatic asterisks with default search mode "use normal search".

But in QV9 (and earlier) list box does not work like that. There you might like selection style "windows checkboxes". Then you just type and check one by one, without holding Ctrl.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Zhiyu,

Here is the solution that should work in any QV version, I tested in QV9 and 10.

1. Create an input box with a variable (I call it here vInput).
2. Create this macro:

sub input
set f = ActiveDocument.Fields("Fabric")
c=ActiveDocument.Evaluate("SubStringCount(vInput, ',')")+1
f.Select ActiveDocument.Evaluate("subfield(vInput, ',', 1)")
for n=2 to c
f.ToggleSelect ActiveDocument.Evaluate("subfield(vInput, ',', " & n & ")")
next
end sub

3. Assign the macro to event "variable vInput on Input".

Now, you only have to enter values in the input box, comma-separated (no spaces please or macro will be a little more complex), e.g. 034,156,200 - and press enter. You get selected exactly what you entered.

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I'd recommend using native QlikView search functions if possible and if you have QV 8 you would have to use the macro, but if you have QV 9 or QV 10, here is a non-macro option you have also try.

Regards.