Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Color/size by Expression in Charts

Hi All,

Is it possible to control the color/size of symbols on a scatter-plot chart?

I want to have two more dimensions on the charts, similar to the charts on www.gapminder.com

Please advise if you have any idea, I'm quite a newbie on QV.

Thanks,
Tal

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Ok, I managed to control the bubbles size with the use of "Bubble Size Expression" on Expressions tab.

The color problem still remains...

Thanks,
Tal

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Ok, I managed to control the bubbles size with the use of "Bubble Size Expression" on Expressions tab.

The color problem still remains...

Thanks,
Tal

Not applicable
Author

I managed to set colors by expressions for each of the twelve first color.

however, my expression is calculated will per item in a table, but as a scatter-plot it returns the same color (the toal - rgb(255,0,0).

I hope this image can express my problem:

http://taladmon.googlepages.com/ScreenShot001.png

Not applicable
Author

Hi

what is your dimension and expession setting? I have created a simple example with 3 fields, x,y,cat Set cat (1..x) as your chart dimension, x and y as expression.

When switching through the different scatter styles you can see changing colors and even changing symbols when selecting the first style.

Jürg

Not applicable
Author

I'm not sure if you still need an answer, but I came across a way to change the bubble color. Under the expressions tab, expand the options for the expression and choose background color. Then set your formula for determining your colors.

Here is an example from comparison of two values.

= If( A > B, argb(200,0,180,0), If( A < B, argb(200,180,0,0), argb(200,120,120,120) ))

If A is greater the bubble is green. If A is less the bubble is red. If A is equal the bubble is grey. I used ARGB() for the transparency option.

Not applicable
Author

Men, six years later, and you saved my work!!! I got a very helpful solution. Thanks a lot!!!!

abhalla2
Contributor II
Contributor II

There are 2 measures for scatter plot one for X-axis and another for Y-axis, just add the third and that would be treated as Bubble size expression

Hope this would help!