Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Comments to specific fields in a table on the GUI?

Hi,

I have the internal standard which I always try to adhere to to write a documentation (Word) for every app I build, explaining exactly which chart shows what, how it is to be read and how the figures are calculated.

However, opening and reading an attached Word document is, judging by experience, more trouble than most users are willing to go to 😉

Therefore, I'm trying to find a way to make it even easier to see that meta_info.

=> Is it possible to add a comment on the GUI, not only to a chart as a whole (in the caption bar), but to individual columns, so that like a quick_tip appears when hovering at that column which shows how it is calculated?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

2 Replies
giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

You may use Comment field or info :

Info

If a piece of external information, such as a text file, a picture or a video is to be linked to a field value, this is done in a table that is loaded using an info prefix. (In some cases it will be preferable to store the information inside the .qvw file, by using the Bundle prefix.) The table must contain two columns only, the first one with the field values that will form the keys to the information, the second one containing the information elements, e.g. the file names of the pictures etcetera.

The same applies to, for example, a picture from a database management system. On a binary field, a blob, the info select statement makes an implicit bundle, i.e. the binary data will be fetched immediately and stored in the qvw. The binary data must be the second field in a select statement.

The syntax is:

info ( loadstatement | selectstatement )

Examples:

Info LOAD * FROM flagoecd.csv;

Info SQL SELECT * FROM infotable;

Info SQL SELECT Key, Picture FROM infotable;

rubenmarin

Hi DataNibbler, in Expressions tab, below the expression box, there is a comment box, if you inser a text here it appears when the moues is over the column title.

Also, in title tab, there is a "text help", inserting text here add a '?' icon to the title bar showing this text when clicked or mouse is over.