Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
felix18807
Contributor III
Contributor III

Compare Dimension Selection vs All values in dimension on two lines

Demo of issue.png

I want to be able to show the a comparative table of a single branch/site vs the same expression across whole the dataset.

I've achieved this by overlapping two straight tables but I wanted to know if there is a better way of doing this within a single table/chart by being clever with a calculated dimension or something similar?

All help appreciated

Richard

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

This should give you the right result by creating a valuelist and allowing a different expression to calculate per value in the dimension.

It's not the cleanest way to do it though, if I had a bit more time I would do it properly using a Pick/Match instead.

Maybe check out  Value Loop and Input Boxes - Create Bar Chart

that thread to give you a steer on that solution

(sorry pressed for time today, I'm sure someone else will post up the better way in due course)

hope that help

Joe

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Richard,

not sure I follow exactly what you are after but sounds like set analysis will be your answer. Have a look at the below links and that should give you a good steer

Set Analysis: syntaxes, examples

Romancing with Set Analysis

Failing that post up a working example with a bit more detail

Hope that helps

Joe

felix18807
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I've generated an example file which I hope better illustrates what I'm trying to achieve (yes I'm inarticulate! )

Not applicable

Ah I see,use

Sum({<Dim1=>}Total Expression1)

As your second expression then

The set there will basically remove your Dim1 selection and give you the total of Expression1 (your 24012)

If you wanted to show the 24012 regardless of any selection made, you would use Sum({1}Total Expression1) instead

hope that helps

Joe

Edit: ignore that sorry I read it wrong, so you basically want the 24012 in the same column, when you have B in Dim1 selected?

felix18807
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

That absolutely the right value - it's just by doing it as a separate expression I'm getting additional columns whereas what I'm am looking to achieve is a separate row containing the "Sum({<Dim1=>}Total Expression1)" value so I can compare the selection vs the total.

Any ideas?

Not applicable

This should give you the right result by creating a valuelist and allowing a different expression to calculate per value in the dimension.

It's not the cleanest way to do it though, if I had a bit more time I would do it properly using a Pick/Match instead.

Maybe check out  Value Loop and Input Boxes - Create Bar Chart

that thread to give you a steer on that solution

(sorry pressed for time today, I'm sure someone else will post up the better way in due course)

hope that help

Joe

felix18807
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

It works for the example given and I appreciate your time.

Now I need to get my head around solution and apply it to the more complicated live data!

Thanks Joe

Not applicable

No problem, glad to be of help, like I say it's not the best solution and if you have a large data set it will cause you problems with performance.

Hopefully it gives you a decent idea and the thread should help too with the pick/match option.

I'll try to find some time to knock that example up too