Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Continuous chart with master calendar

Hello all,

we have been having a really annoying issue while implementing our Qlikview application which was impossible solve for us so far.

Let's simplify all a lot in order to make the problem understood for you.

Let's say we have a table like this:

session: LOAD * INLINE [session_id, year_month_day_hour, area];

This table is filled with thousands of sessions read from a data source. session_id is type integer, year_month_day_hour is dual type representing a date (text: YYYY-MM-DD-HH, number: YYYYMMDDHH) like 2013-11-11-01(2013111101) for instance, while area is a string with any sort of text for all sessions.

We are generating a Master Calendar table like the following for all dates (hourly incremented) from oldest to newest session:

year_month_day_hour: LOAD *  INLINE [year_month_day_hour, year, month, year_month, year_month_day, weekday, day, hour]

Note that I skipped to post the creation of the tables, just described how they are.

Well, then we have a line chart with the year_month_day dimension on x axis, and on y axis the amount of sessions (COUNT(session_id)) depending area values (are dimension).

What we want is: Line charts showing the evolution of the number of sessions for all area values over time. We want to show all missing values if for example we don't have any session for a particular day (That is why we created the master calendar)

in that case the value of COUNT(session_id) should be zero for all values of area.

We also want to let user filter using either area dimension or any time related value. In the former case if I select a particular area value, only that area value line should be shown in the line chart without affecting the time dimension.

On the other hand, if I select a time dimension, chart's time dimension should be affected to show only affected values, that is, if I select month Oct, only October time dimension should be shown. On the same way, if I select days 1 and 10, only days 1 and 10 should be shown in the chart.

I have been playing around with: on Dimensions tab "Suppress When Value Is Null" and "Show All Values" for both dimensions (year_month_day and area). On Presentation tab (Suppress Zero-Values and Suppress Missing) with no success. On Axes tab (Dimension Axis > Continuous).

Some of the problems came in:

- Show All Values on year_month_day (time) dimension is not working when selecting time filters as always is showing all values.

- Show All Values on area is not showing all values on every day as if there is no session that day, there is no values to be shown (Should be possible to achieve, it's like this star schema makes it impossible to show where missing data is)...

So, I ask you all if someone has came across a problem like this, which for a reporting system should be something very usual to have. We don't want to have missing days hidden, I just curious why so many Qlikview devs. permit this behaviour.

Thanks in advanced.

Ferran.

0 Replies