Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Create bookmarks without actually having the data - possible

Hi,

we just switched over to a new database system and all, so some combinations of data have not yet turned up.

That is my problem because in one report, which is also supposed to be processed by a secondary tool we have and sent out via email, there are two bookmarks with different combinations of data, and two versions of that app - one with each bookmark activated - are supposed to be generated daily.

The issue is, I could recreate one of them, but for the other I do not have all the data, only a part of it. Is there any way I can edit a bookmark without actually having all the data I need to make the selections?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Nope, that's not possible. Non-existent data can't be part of a selection vector and therefore not part of a bookmark.

You could generate one or more new tables in the script with bookmark names and the fields and field values that should make up the bookmark. If those tables are linked correctly to your main data model then users can select the bookmark name and get the correct possible values in the rest of the data model.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
brian554xx
Contributor III
Contributor III

I imagine your issue is resolved by now, but it seems like a common enough scenario that an answer would be helpful to somebody.

I can think of two ways to do this.

Disposable Button

This method assumes your bookmark will have multiple selections per field, and at least one entry fits the selection criteria. It also assumes you know the selection values in advance.

• Create a button. Don't make it fancy; it is temporary.
  • For each field you want to select, add an action to select in field, with a Search String like

=(Oranges|Apples|Bananas)   (Substitute your values for my fruits. It doesn't matter if you don't have any data for Bananas, as long as some part of the selection is valid with current data.)

• Click the button.
  • Create a Bookmark.
  • Remove the button.

Dummy Data

This method also assumes you know the values in advance.

• Load an inline table with a dummy entry for each value. Reload.
  • Make your desired selections.
  • Create a Bookmark.
  • Remove the inline and reload again.
mgore
Contributor
Contributor

Do you know if this is still the case? I am trying to create a bookmark that looks at a range of dates but some of the dates have yet to occur and as such are non-existent data points.