Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Creating and executing dynamic text-file on button click

Hello community,

I navigate through a document using one ID at a time. This code will give me the according ID:

=only({<Order={'=rank(-Order)=$(vRank)'}>} ID)

I need to create a text-file that has a mainly static structure passing the current ID to the text. Actually this text file has a extension that once clicked, opens up a program with the given search text.

Now ideally the text-file wouldn't need to actually be saved but only created (and removed) when the button was clicked.

Example of how the text might look:

search

doc_type=ABC

ID=007

Here only the number behind ID= needs to be dynamic.

So this code gives me above text:

='search' & Chr(10) & 'doc_type=ABC' & Chr(10)

&'ID='& only({<Order={'=rank(-Order)=$(vRank)'}>} ID)

But how could I create the file and use it as a variable?

I'm guessing macros are the only way here.

Manually I can get it to work when using the Launch Action and simply paste a valid filepath to the filename property.

Thank you,

Thorsten

5 Replies
sujeetsingh
Master III
Master III

just go for macro and call an action to run Macro

Not applicable
Author

I should add that till now I was able to avoid macro coding hence I don't know how to start

Oh, and I need it to work in the browser.

A small sample would help.

Thank you.

Not applicable
Author

still looking for a solution here. Anybody?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Thorsten,

how do you pass the created text on?

Could you just create two variables - one with the basic text including a second which contains your code giving the ID:

search

doc_type=ABC

ID=$(varID)

?

Afterwards you pass the first variable on.

Best regards,

Chris

Not applicable
Author

Chris that's what I had in mind - my problem is more the second part: somehow creating the file and then trigger the external program.

Maybe it's possible to write the first variable to a file on disk and execute that path so that the content of the file changes when variable2 also changes. But VB isn't my friend