cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Creating multiple .qvw-Files with different sources

Hello,

my problem is the following:

My customers are different companies, which use one of our programs. The data of this program is stored separate MS SQL - Databases for each company. All of those databases are located on our server. So it looks something like this:

Company A -> Database A

Company B -> Database B

Company C -> Database C

I've already created a QV-Application, into which I load the data from one of the databases.

Now I want to create a qvw-File for each company (or database), which looks exactly the same apart from the loaded data.

So I would like to have the same number of qvw-Files as there are companies.

Company_A.qvw -> Data from Database A

Company_B.qvw -> Data from Database B

This way, employees of every company would only see their own data.

The big problem is, when I apply changes to a qvw-File, it does not affect the others. For example, if I want to add a new object, I have to do this for each qvw-File seperately.

Is there a way to create multiple qvw-Files, in which only the script (or the source of the data) is different?

Otherwise I would have to load all data into a single qvw-File and create filters or something like that ...

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You would want to create 1 master qvw with all the data in it.  This will be the one you make updates too and maintain.

Then you would either:

1) Use section access to limit your customers' visibility to data to only their accounts.  See A Primer on Section Access

or

2) Use the Loop and Reduce capability on the server side to create a separate QVW for each customer.

Document on Loop and Reduce

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You would want to create 1 master qvw with all the data in it.  This will be the one you make updates too and maintain.

Then you would either:

1) Use section access to limit your customers' visibility to data to only their accounts.  See A Primer on Section Access

or

2) Use the Loop and Reduce capability on the server side to create a separate QVW for each customer.

Document on Loop and Reduce