Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunny_talwar

Data Island and Set Analysis

Hi Team -

I have run into a set analysis issue which I have never came across before. I have the following two tables:

Table:

LOAD * Inline [

Dim, Sales

A, 10

B, 20

C, 30

];

IslandTable:

LOAD * Inline [

ABC, XYZ

1ABC, 1

2ABC, 2

3ABC, 3

4ABC, 4

5ABC, 5

];

And lets say I have to use a pivot table using a dimension from the Island Table with set analysis on the Island table fields

1st Attempt (Doesn't work)

Dimensions: ABC, Dim

Expression: =Sum({<ABC = {'1ABC', '3ABC'}>}Sales)

2nd Attempt (Doesn't work)

Dimensions: ABC, Dim

Expression: =Sum({<XYZ = {1, 3}>}Sales)

In both the above two cases, I hoped to see two rows, but for some reason I saw all ABC

Capture.PNG

3rd Attempt (Works)

Dimensions: ABC, XYZ, Dim

Expression: =Sum({<ABC = {'1ABC', '3ABC'}>}Sales)

4th Attempt (Works)

Dimensions: ABC, XYZ, Dim

Expression: =Sum({<XYZ = {1, 3}>}Sales)

In my 3rd and 4th attempt, the set analysis starts to work as soon as I add XYZ as dimension (and XYZ is not collapsed)

Capture.PNG

Is this expected behavior?

swuehl‌, gwassenaar‌, mrkachhiaimp‌, johnw‌, troyansky‌, hic‌, jagan‌, vinieme12‌, petter-s‌, rwunderlich‌, marcowedel

25 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I'd have expected every one of them to have 5 rows with 60 on each row, which is what we get as long as the first dimension is collapsed on all of them. That much makes sense to me.

Set analysis is evaluated once per chart, not per row. So the first thing QlikView will do with any of these charts is "select" the values for either ABC or XYZ. It will then see which rows of Table are still available from which to sum Sales. All rows of Table are still available. And that's all that set analysis does directly, constrain the rows we use in our aggregation. It doesn't directly constrain the values of our dimensions. So the set analysis should have no effect on any of our results in any of these charts.

And yet it does. At least in charts 3 and 4. And ONLY if we expand them at least one level. So clearly I've misunderstood something, and the collapsed vs. expanded pivot table dimensions should be a big clue what it is.

Someone will surely explain it in a simple way that will make me smack my forehead, but nope, I don't get it.

sunny_talwar
Author

John - I do follow your logic that set analysis is for expression and not for the dimension here, but its just weird that expanding the XYZ dimension resolves the issue.

I guess calculated dimension here might be way to approach this, right?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Sure, or just a dimension since I have an irrational dislike of calculated dimensions.

if(match(XYZ,1,3),XYZ) as XYZ13

I do want to figure out what's going on here, though.

nitin_01
Creator
Creator

Hi Sunny,

Respect to Seniors,

So, What can we conclude from this? Should we use 'Calculated Dimension' or need to add one more dimension from unrelated tables to get the desired output in the chart?

Regards,

Nitin

sunny_talwar
Author

Hi Nitin -

I don't think this discussion in concluded yet. I am still hoping to hear from some of the other experts.

Best,

Sunny

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I looked into you test application Sunny. I find the first two cases (pivot tables) perfectly understandable as there will be a cartesian product between the fields of the two products. What I find hard to understand is why this doesn't happen with the last two pivot tables. Furthermore when clicking around in these two I got some odd behavior that didn't seem entirely consistent. I didn't take full notes and it is hard to reproduce just now. Briefly it was when I expanded and collapsed sometimes I got the full list of all five values in the ABC dimension whereas most of the time I got only two. That happened to both of the pivot tables. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way of reproduce it consistently...

I have recently - the last two years or so avoided using data islands. If I need to do something special in that direction I most often use ValueList() and ValueLoop() to calculate dimension values on-the-fly.

marcus_sommer

I think the different behaviour between the collapsed/expanded pivot is caused through an ignoring of the set analysis condition within the collapsed state and by expanding the condition is evaluated against ABC.

Further I wouldn't consider it as inconsistent behaviour or as a bug because it made in my opinion no sense to calculate dimensions from isolated data-islands within one object - the base of them will be always a carthesic product and even quite small datasets could consume all available resources.

What was your origin aim of calculating over isolated data-areas?

- Marcus

sunny_talwar
Author

So there were few things in action here

1) I was just wondering if we can remove the use of Pick(Match()) or If by using set analysis. So, here is an updated sample

Table:

LOAD * Inline [

Dim, Sales1, Sales2

A, 10, 20

B, 20, 30

C, 30, 90

];

IslandTable:

LOAD * Inline [

ABC, XYZ

1ABC, 1

2ABC, 2

3ABC, 3

4ABC, 4

5ABC, 5

];

and lets say that when ABC = 1ABC, I want to Sum(Sales1) and When ABC = 3ABC, I want to Sum(Sales2). This is very simple with pick match. But I was wondering if this could be done using set analysis.

=RangeSum(Sum({<ABC = {'1ABC'}>}Sales1), Sum({<ABC = {'3ABC'}>}Sales2))

2) I do need all ABC, but for this particular chart I just need just 2 of the 5 ABC. Again, Pick(Match()) or if would work, but a) I didn't think of them before I posted this questions, b) I wonder why it doesn't work

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

Hi Sunny try This

Sum({< ABC = {'1ABC', '3ABC'} >}Aggr(Sales,ABC,Dim))

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.