Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Data Reduction & Circular Reference

Hi there,

I wonder anyone can help me.  I am trying to data reduction on multiple dimensions and the dimensions are linked to a fact table.  If I construct the Section Access as follows,

ACCESS, NTNAME, COSTFILTER, CATFILTER

ADMIN, ERIC.LAM, PET MANAGEMENT, DIRECT

COSTFILTER and CATFILTER are dimension fields linked to Cost Centre and Category dimension tables.  At the same time, the dimension tables are linked to the same Spend fact table.

From what I can see, the data reduction/section access relationship creates cricular reference among Section Access, Category, Cost Centre and Spend tables.  When I reload the script, there is no warning at all.   Does QlikView resolve the circular reference?  If not, is that mean it is not possible to have multiple data reduction in my case?

Many thanks in advance,

Eric.

2 Replies
ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

The reduction reduces the content in the tables, so it shoudl not change your data model in general. If you get a circular reference it sounds more like you have added the section access table as a regular table and not as a section access table. Please make sure that you have added the Section Access table definiton and the section application definition.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Toni.  I misunderstand section access table is to link to the real data tables.  Yes, I copy section access table to normal table to see they have the right relationships.  The reason is to debug my section access/data reduction issue, I thought is due to the circular reference.

My problem is the data reduction is not working as I expected.  I don't know what I have done wrong.

ACCESS, NTNAME, FILTER, COSTFILTER, CATFILTER

ADMIN, ROSSLYN\ERIC.LAM, COST_CENTRE¬PET MANAGEMENT, *, *

ADMIN, ROSSLYN\ERIC.LAM, L1-CATEGORY¬DIRECT, *, *

ADMIN, ROSSLYN\STEVE.HAYWARD, *, PET MANAGEMENT, INDIRECT

When I login as ROSSLYN\ERIC.LAM (confirm by OSUSER()), the data reduction is on PET MANAGEMENT, INDIRECT which is the data reduction on ROSSLYN\STEVE.HAYWARD not me.

I wonder anyone can helpsectionaccess.png.