Did you mean: 
wardzynski
Creator
Creator

Data connections (OLE DB & ODBC) in Qlikview vs Qliksense

Dear Community,

I just want to verify the data connections:

Qlik Sense:

In Qlik Sense you can define your data connections from inside QMC where you enter the password only 1 time, and it will reside in only 1 place and NOT inside the various Qlik Sense applications being used. The service account will normally run the tasks being associated for each App and connect to the various databases as needed and defined by the Data connections. The developer does not need to care about the password and which service account is used to run his tasks.

Qlikview:

I am not sure but I believe that with OLE DB you can have one data connection string with the service account and password to the service account entrypted, that the developer only need to include inside his script without knowing the password for the data connection. This string can be included as a variable using the include statement.

I am not sure if you can do the same thing with an ODBC data connection.

Can you do it the same way or do you always have to first establish the ODBC data connection through the windows application "ODBC Data Source Administration" and then create the data connection string from inside Qlikview?

I guess I need a better clarification of best practice for Qlikview.

We are setting up an enterprise environment for Qlikview and Qlik Sense where we do not want any developer accounts to have access to any data sources defined by the data connections.

What is the best way to do it for Qlikview and Qlik Sense?

Thank you!

0 Replies