Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Data sources used on the Qv sheets

Hi All,

I have a new requirement in which I need to show a table box in all the sheets in which I need to show the data sources that are being used on that particular sheet.Eg let say I have sales sheet in which I have used the Resouces Excel,Country details excel and Sales excel. I need to show all this information in the table box with the latest date they are updated.I am thinking of creating a data Island and showing the results in the table box.

If anyone have suggestions please let me know..

Thanks in advance...

9 Replies
Not applicable
Author

any suggestions???

Not applicable
Author

any suggestions???

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Yes, you can load a table of source name and filetimes using the filetime() function. For some sources, a more meaningful indicator may be the min() and max() time of a field, such as OrderDate.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

I tried but it dnt work..  I have two sheets lets say Sales and people.On sales Sheet I  have multiple buttons through which i will hide and show the objects.

lets suppose i ahve 3 buttons and three excels are used to create the charts in the Sales sheet so when i click the first button I should see only the thee names of the Excels in the Sales sheet and when I click the second but which uses the 5 excels I should be see the names of the 5 excels in the Sales sheet in a table box.

Please let me know if you have any ideas..

Thanks in advance...

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'm not following. Can you post a sample qvw?

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

I am attaching th sample application for ur reference.

Please read the above explanation i hope now you should be able to follow.I have multiple charts in the sheet1 which i hide and show them based on the three buttons available on the sheet.

so here is my requirement based on the user selection on the button1  and  Level1 (drill don button) four charts are coming up and I know that I have used only source1,source2 and source3 excels to create those four excels so now how can i show only the names of three sources(source1,source2,source3) in a table box.

Hope I made the point clear now.. Please let me know if you have any suggestions,,

Thanks

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Lavanya - Have you tried using FileName( ) and FileExtension( ) functions within your load script. Here is the sample script :

TestTable:

LOAD

'SourceFile' & $(x) AS SourceFileName,

[Product name],

[Amount sold],

RowNo() AS PK,

FileExtension() AS DataSource,

FileBaseName() AS FileName

FROM

(biff, embedded labels, table is SourceFile1$);

In the above example you will have xls for datasource and CountProducts-2 as filename.

Good luck!

Cheers - DV

Not applicable
Author

Hi Deepak,

I am loading data from share point sites so the filename()  is not working fine.I need some other alternative method to show up this.

Hope you understood my requirement..

Thanks

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Your sample doesn't appear to have any of the hidden charts you referenced and the buttons have no actions. So it's tough to give you a concrete answer.

The general answer is to reuse the same variable you use for controlling chart display in a calculated dimension expression in the source chart table.

-Rob