Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dead space on Bar Chart with 2 bars

I have a bar chart that shows between 2 (image1) and 3 (image2) columns depending on the role of a user. I have a variable that hides the 3rd column for certain users. I want to remove the dead space where the 3rd column used to be and have the 2 bars resize to fill the space, it looks bad when they don't resize

Capture.PNG.pngCapture2.PNG.png

4 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

It can't be helped unless you create a new compound dimension using dual() for example.

Worth looking at this thread:

Re: Some of my bar graph bars are offset and I cannot change them

Not applicable
Author

I'm actually not using a dimension at all for this, just 3 expressions.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

I noticed the conditionally hidden expression only eliminates the blank space if its NOT the last expression.

So i added a dummy last expression that is invisible, and then added a first one to sort of balance the chart

Take a look at the screenshots ... any help  ?

2.PNG.png

3.PNG.png

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

I should clarify that you still have dead space in the technique above , but the effect is a 'centered' chart where it may not matter as much.

The true solution would be to define 1 dimension and 1 expression. 

Would need to pivot your data to show 'Metric' and 'MetricValue' .  Metric would be the 3 types that you have above. MetricValue would be the raw value.  Your chart would get a new dimension (Metric) and only use 1 expression which would be MetricValue ( probably with some IF statements to summarize the right value for each type).

Your hide/show would do a 'select in field' to select just the first 2 types.