Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Delta expressions

Hi all - I noticed some already closed threads that discussed this type of need, but none that fit into my scenario. Can anyone suggest the best expression(s) to accomplish this?

* I am calculating a Billable FTE to NonBillable Ratio with the following formula: (sum([Billable Hrs]) / 40) / (count(distinct {<[BillableFlag]-= {'0'}>} Resource)) --> For easy math, lets assume this results in 20 / 10 = 2.0 as the billable to nonbillable ratio [B2NB] for 1 given period.

* I then want to factor in the avg Billing rate by doing: sum([Billable Hrs] * [Billing Rate]) / sum([Billable Hrs]) --> For easy math for one week time period, lets assume this results in $180 avg billing rate.

* I can plot these as two expressions but its not telling a good story.

My Dimension is Week, and I want to able to show the adjusted billing rate against the Billable to NonBillable ratio [B2NB], leveraging the deltas between all Week dimensions.

So for example:

on 1/1/2014, the B2NB was 2.0 and the Avg. Bill Rate was $140

on 1/1/2015, the B2NB was 2.0 and the Avg. Bill Rate was $180

note: my chart would show 52 dates (1 per week) per year, I am just explaining 1 specific delta.

The requirement provided to me is: (but I am hoping the community can either help with the correct syntax or offer a better idea).

Expression1:

Avg. Bill Rate Current week  - "That" week's Avg Bill Rate = Delta (note: negative's can/should be possible)

100% - (Delta / Current Week Bill Rate)

Expression2:

Value from Expression1 * B2NB Ratio

Thanks so much for any specific suggestions

1 Reply
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I apologise for maybe not understanding the simplest of reasonings. But why calculate B2NB this way? The B2NB-ratio usually ranges from 0 to 1. A ratio of 2.0 can be either:

• everyone is doing a lot of overtime, or
  • 50% is doing even more overtime, and 50% is "on holiday".

Is this a good performance indicator?

Peter